could this work????

jamier

just a question for you all. i have an alpine radio which has a hard time to read burned cd's, i was thinking about trying to swap the laser sensor from a cd rom drive to see if itll work in the radio, I know cd roms will read just about anything but not sure if it'll work in a car radio. i know the two systems have different power voltages 120 vs 12v but will this affect the laser???just a thought since i have time to mess around with the radio untill i buy a new 1. any sugestions is it possible will or can it work???? thanks

They actually don't have different power voltages, at least not 120v vs 12v. Your computer's power supply molex plugs have 4 wires going to them, 12 volt+, 5 volt+, 12 volt- and 5v-. While in theory this could work, it's probably way more trouble than it's worth. Just go buy a new radio, even base model cd players have enough features for most people.

yea i know

thanks for the response on the power issue. as for getting a new 1 i also agree with you on that but im a tinkerer and like a challenge. like i said i have time to play right now and just wanted to see if this could work. I have an older high end radio thats already hooked into the system with amps and all installed in my truck , just looking for a way to make it work and to pass some time. now that i know the power will not be a problem im gona dive into it. if it messes up ill just use a mp3- ipod with it thanks for the response ..