could I, should I ?

HGturboT

HomeGrownPerformanceLV
I have a buddy that just got a loan to get a typhoon, but the little truck has a bad tranny. I told him I have a chevy 400 with a 2500 stall i'd give him if it could work, so my question is;

-could the tranny go in place of the 700?
-woul the ratios on the diff's make a problum and the 3 speed over the 4?
-is that just to much tranny for the truck?

The truck will have mods in the future, but it's all stock now and he doesn't mind not having over drive. We know we'll need to do a few things like drive shaft, kick down, etc. If this could work and I left a little out, the knowledge would be great. thanks for the help.

700R4's are longer then 400's...I'm sure it could be done (with enough parts changing and welding and money and work and maybe even have to make it rear wheel drive for a while because I have no idea if the transfer case would work.

In other words it's not worth it.

I was told the 700's weren't worth it because they are exspensive to get them to hold a lot of power ( might be an excuse cause they dont like them , i dont know) and 400's are pretty strong the way they are, and since I have one I thought it would have been easier (guess not). If you know of or anyone else reading could recommend good tranny guys ( really good with 700's) that would be great, we are from vegas and i'm sure he'd be willing to send it out and pay a little more if that tranny's worth it. thanks again.

oh, and I was told you couldn't get a transbreak for those trannys?

Got me on that one I've never been west of texas...700's can be pretty strong, but it does take time and money to do it (just like anything else)...I don't know about the tranny brake cuz I've never looked for one for a 700.

the moderator of this forum builds 700's. HHPracing. He has DIY kits.

For the 400 to work you need an adapator made. The link for who makes these are in the above link to the syty.net forum. You will be spinning the motor way past normal cam power range with this installed. But if your upgrading motor then shouldn't be a problem.

Later,

I would try to stay as stock as possable on that they say the drive train and beffed up 700R4 is what makes the SYs and TYs:D
Up here in everett PUGET PARK TRANSMISSION the guy that owns it knows a crap load about 700R4s and gn transmissions I took my TY there to get it looked and and right off the get go he knew what the truck was:) I felt good about that(I hate when your trying to get something done people go duh whats that) so the only other guy to put his mits on my truck was him he did a flush and seal change for me and he took his time (crazy how that works) he even changed my rear diff fluid and I did not even ask him to look at it he just did. so if you were to send it out try him...
:D Randy