Cost tracking??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Have a potential customer that is asking for a ballpark on the cost to do a swap.
80 Malibu wagon.
5.3/4L60E. [The customer is supplying the engine/trans/ pcm, etc.]
Retain A/C.
Engine to remain essentially stock, except for tune, cai, dual exh.
So far, my hard parts ONLY list is at $5100.
It includes a trans freshening.
I'm SURE I've left out some items, and don't want to mislead the customer.
I gave him a labor number, as " whatever time I spend, X the rate"...[He appears to be unwilling to do any of the work, as far as removal of old engine, cleaning engine compartment, etc]

A look back at the time it took me to do the 55 install, it appears he's well on his way toward $10K. Am I far off the mark??:D

NE1 that has some experience with the costs, plse chime in!

Chuck,

Parts and labor is the way I do it. Cut and dry. Once the bill gets to be a certain amount I will start to go a little easier on actual time spent but that's up to you. ;)

RL

Chuck,

Parts and labor is the way I do it. Cut and dry. Once the bill gets to be a certain amount I will start to go a little easier on actual time spent but that's up to you. ;)

RL
Thanks for the response....
I just finished talking w/ him...Doesn't seem like he's up to spending $10K! It's now down to a stock crate engine, and a 700R4. Or, a head job and a set of duals on the V-sicks...[Seems he's all about mileage. He was thinking the LS would get better than the 6] :rolleyes:
He gets 22 on the 6.[A 60K barn find]. We'll see. I doubt I'll be hearing from him, again....

If he isn't willing to spend $10k for that amount of work i wouldnt get involved.

Champagne dreams on beer budget. Send him on his way.

What Bison said. That price is not unreasonable for that work. Labor adds up fast on a job like that.

I find it hilarious that someone would even consider spending 5-10k (At minimum) on a swap like that for the purpose of gas mileage. I'm doing a turbo ls swap for my buick, but it's so I can go fast and get terrible gas mileage while it's under boost, lol. Pronto nailed it. Send him on his way.

I find it hilarious that someone would even consider spending 5-10k (At minimum) on a swap like that for the purpose of gas mileage. I'm doing a turbo ls swap for my buick, but it's so I can go fast and get terrible gas mileage while it's under boost, lol. Pronto nailed it. Send him on his way.

It's getting better... He called again, and wants to pursue a cost estimate on a SBC/700R4....I think this guy needs to back away from the bong!:D

If you do good work, it's not hard to get a job for free...
Send'em packing Chuck, you won't regret it.
Unless your looking for a project to get involved in.

If you do good work, it's not hard to get a job for free...
Send'em packing Chuck, you won't regret it.
Unless your looking for a project to get involved in.

Yet ANOTHER lllooonnngg ans mach message!:rolleyes:
We're now back to the LS engine!!
I work alone, [bout 45 mi from knowledgeble help], so this is probably more than I bargained for. U R right . I'm gonna bow out.

I think you've made a good choice...
Hey....we ain't gettin any younger
I'm sure if you need something to do Mrs. Leeper could come up with something.

I think you've made a good choice...
Hey....we ain't gettin any younger
I'm sure if you need something to do Mrs. Leeper could come up with something.

Mrs Leeper "helped" all I could stand!!:D Working alone includes, doing the laundry, cutting the grass, shopping, cooking!!

My condolences Chuck....
I'm thinking hire part time help......;)
Not for nothing, but I don't find cuddling necessary.

These cars are a labor of love. If you are studying the bottom line.... you need to pick another hobby.... like gambling or something.... :)

Fuel mileage.... keep the V6.... but don't have expectations to make 600 HP or more and keep it reliable.

The turbo LS is the only way I know to go 9's on pump gas in a full weight car for the cheapest. These V6's are the bomb til you get into the 10's.... then they get off in the bootie pocket quick!

These cars are a labor of love. If you are studying the bottom line.... you need to pick another hobby.... like gambling or something.... :)

Fuel mileage.... keep the V6.... but don't have expectations to make 600 HP or more and keep it reliable.

The turbo LS is the only way I know to go 9's on pump gas in a full weight car for the cheapest. These V6's are the bomb til you get into the 10's.... then they get off in the bootie pocket quick!

A couple things...
1. This is a 1980 V-sicks Mali wagon, not a TR.:D
2. This is a owner asking me to do the swap. He's studying the bottom line, using the ballpark $$ I gave him...:D