corvair powered by 3.8 and 4T60

jaymaechtlen

Well, the Toy is insured and licensed. Need to get VIN verified to get license tags. Is '61 'vair with 1987 3.8 fwd package mounted midships, Fiero style.
I have turbo from '84 T-type, not installed yet. Still finishing lots of stuff, like front brakes (have rear only for test purposes at the moment), engine cover, and so forth. Right now it has the ECU from the donor car, an 87 Olds.
Any thoughts on chipping/upgrading when I install the turbo? What about MAF?
Regards
Jay

There's a thread on here about putting a turbo on a FWD Century in this section somewhere Jay. You may want to take a look at it.

when turbo time comes

First I have to get a bunch of chassis and other stuff squared away.
Today I worked on lights (turn signal switch and brake light switch toast) rear view mirrors, seat belts, etc.
I did test drive it again, still really crappy 1-2 shift. I'll pull the modulator and inspect it, maybe drop the pan and have a look. I really expect that a different trans will be the answer. I posted a question about that in the 3800 supercharged tech forum, since they run that kind/series of trans.
Since this motor has 187,000 miles on it (at least, that's what the odometer from the donor car says), I presume it could stand some freshening. I may just look for a lower mileage motor to go with the turbo.
I will plan the installation for an intercooler, but may start off without one.
Initially am thinking to keep the efi, but realize I could run a carb if I really wanted to.
Anyway, I expect to be driving it soon, but it is still a long term project.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Regards
Jay

progress report

Got brakes installed in front with pressure regulator. Front brakes at minimum pressure. Works ok. Rear wheel alignment isn't so good, but driveable.
Oh- trans is TH440T4, the predecessor to the 4T60.
Later!
Jay

Do you have any pictures anywhere? I personally have a soft spot for the Corvair, my first turbo car. Understand yours is an early version, I have had a boatload of late models.

Attachments

• 101_1440 small.jpg
    101_1440 small.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 890
updates

Replaced donor rack&pinion (on rear) with fixed bracket and tie rods. That took care of whatever wiggle or slop present in the old r&p.
Got another transaxle for it, not installed yet. (Used th440T4, hopefully good)
Got power buckets from 92 Mercedes for install soon.
Doing fiberglass and other work a bit at a time.

Gradually getting less ugly!

Bought a cheap paint gun and some primer. Got most of it primered, looks less ugly.
Plan to put the other transaxle in it this weekend.
Maybe put oil drain hole in block for turbo. Turbo will happen later.
Hmmm - maybe ought to look at a rod insert to check condition of this 190,000 mile motor? Do I dare?
Stay tuned...