Correct Spare wheel/tire

Hardway

I have searched the boards and came up empty handed. My TTA did not have it's spare wheel and jack components in it when I bought it. I am wondering which spare came with the TTA's? The inflatable black aluminum, black steel, or the spoked 1LE spare? If anyone has a picture of their spare in or out of the car I would appreciate it.

The TTA's spare was unique to the car. Inflatable black aluminum. Only GTA that ever used the aluminum as the rest had the steel rim.

Okay, thats what I thought and what I was afraid of. Would a spoked 1LE spare work? I highly doubt I would use it but I will be driving the car alot and would like to have something to throw on in the event of a flat.

You should be able to use the black steel inflatable spare back there. They just went with the aluminum to lighten the car up.

Were the black aluminum spares unique the TTA? I have one in my GN that I bought at a salvage yard a few years ago.

They may have been used in other F body's I'm not 100% sure but if it's a inflatable black aluminum spare they are pretty hard to find. It's the ultimate space saving light weight spare! :cool:

I got a spare TTA spare tire (out of a TTA) sitting in Sweden I might consider selling but shipping would be expensive due to the weight, anyway if seriously interested I can look into cost of shipping but only if you are serious about it as shipping would proparbly cost in the range of $100 USD I suspect ... don't want to waste time looking into shipping costs unless you really want it. Drop me a line jlarsson@london.com

Okay, I am still curious to know if I could use a an aluminum spoked wheel that came in some of the GTA's. The only thing I am afraid of is that it may not clear the front brakes. Can anyone shed light on this?

Okay, I am still curious to know if I could use a an aluminum spoked wheel that came in some of the GTA's. The only thing I am afraid of is that it may not clear the front brakes. Can anyone shed light on this?

The ten-spoke inflatable(or so-called 1LE spare even thought it was out before the 1LE's were)will fit the front dual-piston alum caliper, but not the rear PBR's. The another alum spare, RPO N64, which came on many 1989-92 cars with PBR's, 1988 1LE cars, and 1989 TTA's that will fit all four corners.

The correct spare shouldnt be that hard to find, take the GTA's for example - total amount of GTA's that came with the N64 spare: 6,913 in 1988(9765 total), all 1989 GTA's(8470 total Y84 pakages including TTA's), 874 in 1990(884 total), 1,973 in 1991(2,035 total), and 225 in 1992(226 total)

Thats 18,455 cars out of 21,380 total cars built between 1988 and 1992 that had the correct spare, or about 87% of all 88-92 GTA's - not counting Canadian production units.

That is good to know TTA850, thank for posting all the stats on the wheel. I will start trying to hunt an N64 wheel down. I have 2 steel ones right now but I really want an aluminum one. What book or website did you get all the production info from?

The ten-spoke inflatable(or so-called 1LE spare even thought it was out before the 1LE's were)will fit the front dual-piston alum caliper, but not the rear PBR's. The another alum spare, RPO N64, which came on many 1989-92 cars with PBR's, 1988 1LE cars, and 1989 TTA's that will fit all four corners.

The correct spare shouldnt be that hard to find, take the GTA's for example - total amount of GTA's that came with the N64 spare: 6,913 in 1988(9765 total), all 1989 GTA's(8470 total Y84 pakages including TTA's), 874 in 1990(884 total), 1,973 in 1991(2,035 total), and 225 in 1992(226 total)

Thats 18,455 cars out of 21,380 total cars built between 1988 and 1992 that had the correct spare, or about 87% of all 88-92 GTA's - not counting Canadian production units.

but how do you tell one from the other ?

i have a couple aluminum spares but how do you tell if they fit the rear disc brakes or not because you made it sound like there were 2 diffrent aluminum spare tire types

Ok here are pics of a pair of aluminum spares I had in the corner of the garage, they are dirty from sitting for years so dont mind that. One still has the can attached :)

alumspare1.jpg

alumspare2.jpg

alumspare3.jpg

alumspare4.jpg