Cops not playing fair

Originally posted by salvageV6
Cops that have to hide to catch motor vehicle infractions just plain suck. Oh that's another opinion. ;)

Revenue raisers that's about all they are.

If they cared about saving lives they would go after all those that don't signal and run red lights, or drive in 3 lanes at one time while putting on makeup or shaving and reading the newspaper while driving, or jawing on the cell phone or......

You can catch plenty of speeders all day and night with a plainly marked car.

Would you run a red light with a cop car at the intersection? Of course not...so of course we have to hide.

Revenue raiser? I'm assuming you're talking about tickets and not cops. If there were no such things as tickets, would you obey the laws? Of course not.

"If they cared about saving lives..." Wow. I deliberately put myself in life threatening positions EVERY DAY that most NORMAL people run from. All for $37,000 a year. If I didn't care, I wouldn't do the job...cause I can sure as hell make more money doing something far less dangerous.

We can catch speeders in marked units that easily, eh? You ever done it? No? Than quit talking like you have.

I don't know if you were writing your post lightly or seriously, but if it's serious, print it out...and next time you call 911 for something, show it to the cop...see what he does.

See, I dont think it is outright entrapment, but it could be, in the hands of a cop with something to prove.
Say some idiot in a cab cuts you off. Then gives you the finger. Tries to run you off the road. So you nail the gas and pass him to put him out of your way. Then they flip on the lights and pull you over for reckless driving. Heck, they just did that themselves!

Kinda like using the unmarked cars to instigate street races. You are minding your own business at a light when a new camaro with dark tint rolls up beside you. He revs and lurches forward. You take the bait and he again turns out to be a cop and pulls you over. Its like someone getting in your face, insulting your girlfriend really bad, and waiting to get punched so he can arrest you and charge you with assaulting a police officer (even though he was wearing "street" clothes).

Heck with unmarked cars, marked cars discourage crimes just from being around.

Once, I had an unmarked car follow me for a long time. Was right on my tail as I left the city. He was making all the moves like he wanted to pass (2 lane highway), but never did. So after about 10 miles of this I pulled off into a rest stop. I get out to stretch my legs and shrug it off, when I notice he pulled right in behind me. Same unmarked car. Next thing I know, the door flys open from the car, so I figure road rage guy has a beef with me, so I bolt for my car before he gives me trouble. I hear him shouting at me to turn around and stand up against the car. I thought I was gonna be robbed or something til I saw the officer uniform. He gave me a hard time, something about a car fitting my description in the area BS, did a search of the car and he left. If it wouldve been a regular cop car, marked, it would have been a lot different.
Unfair? Heck yeah.
I think they would use the cabs to start road rage incidents, then arrest you for playing along in their game.

I personally am totally against unmarks or using vehicles marked for other usages for law enforcement. How the hell are we supposed to know its really a cop and not some lunatic trying to rob or hurt someone? There have been MANY documented cases where people have been killed by assailants posing as police officers using similar or ex police cruisers. I know certain states have outlawed the use already of using unmarks.
Anyone can go out and get wig wags or red and blue lights for their car. So tell me now; Why is it really better that police are using these ****ed up means to write tickets?
Be honest; it is more revenue than actually keeping the streets safe. This is the same b.s. as the towns that say there is no such thing as quotas. Another crock. I have friends who are cops and the proper terminology is "standard of performance".
It means that if you are a cop (atleast here in towns in New Jersey) and you dont write a certain amount of tickets, you could be fired for not performing your job.
A certain police chief in Columbus, NJ (a town that heavily tickets)had a class action law suit leveled against him (and I believe fired) several years ago when he lied to residents at a township meeting saying that they dont have a quota. It was disclosed that they wont use the word quota. I personally blame residents of such towns for allowing this crap to continue. Our local paper (the Burlington County Times) just publised statistics of how much revenue the town collected from traffic violations and other court accrued monies.
My town and the neighboring town took in $1.6 million each last year.
What a bunch of crap!
A friend of mine that is a cop gets pissed when I spout this stuff to him and I get the "well you dont have to put up with the b.s. and the low pay that I do."
My answer is simple; "You knew what you were up against and what the job entails. Dont complain!"

Originally posted by salvageV6
Who said anything about a court of law?

I don't plan on suing anyone. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion. That and $500 will get you out of a speeding ticket. :cool:

Cops that have to hide to catch motor vehicle infractions just plain suck. Oh that's another opinion. ;)

Revenue raisers that's about all they are.

If they cared about saving lives they would go after all those that don't signal and run red lights, or drive in 3 lanes at one time while putting on makeup or shaving and reading the newspaper while driving, or jawing on the cell phone or......

You can catch plenty of speeders all day and night with a plainly marked car.

I was agreeing with you fully until you brought up the touchy issus of driving while on cell phones. I completely oppose outlawing talking on the phone while driving. It is nothing but infringment on our daily lives, and it is proven that no matter how many people support this illegal big government liberal extremest law, EVERYONE breaks it.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Would you run a red light with a cop car at the intersection? Of course not...so of course we have to hide.

Hiding behind a bridge or whatever to catch a speeder is fine. That's what radar detectors are for. :) Using a cab car as a police car is another thing. I wish someone would invent undercover cop dectectors. :) That or make it a law that cops (undercover or not) have to have their radar turned continuosly on so we can alwas detect them (with exceptions for drug busts and the like).

Originally posted by SilverSleeper Once, I had an unmarked car follow me for a long time. Was right on my tail as I left the city. He was making all the moves like he wanted to pass (2 lane highway), but never did. So after about 10 miles of this I pulled off into a rest stop. I get out to stretch my legs and shrug it off, when I notice he pulled right in behind me. Same unmarked car. Next thing I know, the door flys open from the car, so I figure road rage guy has a beef with me, so I bolt for my car before he gives me trouble. I hear him shouting at me to turn around and stand up against the car. I thought I was gonna be robbed or something til I saw the officer uniform. He gave me a hard time, something about a car fitting my description in the area BS, did a search of the car and he left. If it wouldve been a regular cop car, marked, it would have been a lot different.
Unfair? Heck yeah.
I think they would use the cabs to start road rage incidents, then arrest you for playing along in their game.

He violated the Fourth Amendment by searching your car. He ought to be fired, then hung for treason against his government.

Come back to the center a bit Ter..

Ter,

Your saying that driving and talking on a cell phone is big brother taking your rights!!!!

Since WHEN is it the right of another driver to talk on a cell phone and not pay attention to hurling 4000 lb vehicle down the road!!! Last year, I had my GMC Jimmy sideways on I-95 because some damn fool in a Mercedes was talking away and didn't signal, look or anything because he had a cell phone to his hear. You need at least one hand on the steering wheel, use the other hand for operating signals to change lanes and need to be able to move your head to look around your vehicle to make sure traffic is CLEAR!!! I'm sure this has happened to many a people on this board, either with or without their TRs... Yet, BIG BROTHER shouldn't be taking this man's rights away.. if it weren't for the fact that I was NOT talking on a cell phone and paying close attention to all drivers in my area, then I would have probably been hit, possibly rolled over and god knows what else. I understand you don't like the idea of government getting into all your affairs and business. Yes, there's a line that gov't should and shouldn't cross, but there most certainly are times when the gov't needs to say "NO". Next your going to try to convince us all that drunk driving is BIG BROTHER taking away your rights. Driving a car isn't a right.. it's a priviledge... and one that is taken pretty lightly by WAY too many Americans. And we all wonder why insurance rates are through the roof!

Re: Come back to the center a bit Ter..

Originally posted by gn85
Ter,

Your saying that driving and talking on a cell phone is big brother taking your rights!!!!

Since WHEN is it the right of another driver to talk on a cell phone and not pay attention to hurling 4000 lb vehicle down the road!!! Last year, I had my GMC Jimmy sideways on I-95 because some damn fool in a Mercedes was talking away and didn't signal, look or anything because he had a cell phone to his hear. You need at least one hand on the steering wheel, use the other hand for operating signals to change lanes and need to be able to move your head to look around your vehicle to make sure traffic is CLEAR!!! I'm sure this has happened to many a people on this board, either with or without their TRs... Yet, BIG BROTHER shouldn't be taking this man's rights away.. if it weren't for the fact that I was NOT talking on a cell phone and paying close attention to all drivers in my area, then I would have probably been hit, possibly rolled over and god knows what else. I understand you don't like the idea of government getting into all your affairs and business. Yes, there's a line that gov't should and shouldn't cross, but there most certainly are times when the gov't needs to say "NO". Next your going to try to convince us all that drunk driving is BIG BROTHER taking away your rights. Driving a car isn't a right.. it's a priviledge... and one that is taken pretty lightly by WAY too many Americans. And we all wonder why insurance rates are through the roof!

I have never been in the center, so there is nothing to come back to. I don't care if it saves lives by banning talking while driving. It would also save countless lives by making a federal speed limit of 20 mph, but it's just not practical. Why shoud I have to suffer if some idiot isn't good enough to talk and drive at the same time? Nobody listens to that law anyway. Drunk driving is another story. There's no reason at all to do it, and it's MUCH more dangerous than driving while talking on a celly. But I am TOTALLY opposed to taking away someone's car while drunk driving, but I guess that's another story.

I think that talking on the phone and driving should be ILLEGAL along with putting on makeup, reading books.I drive for a living and people don't know how to be courteous. Yesterday I was cut off by 2 people on cell phones, yet the police will pull you over for not wearing your seat belt (that pulls across your neck and irratates the hell out of you). I think the priorities of the officials are all mixed up. Just my 3 cents

Originally posted by Pat Adkins
I think that talking on the phone and driving should be ILLEGAL along with putting on makeup, reading books.I drive for a living and people don't know how to be courteous. Yesterday I was cut off by 2 people on cell phones, yet the police will pull you over for not wearing your seat belt (that pulls across your neck and irratates the hell out of you). I think the priorities of the officials are all mixed up. Just my 3 cents

So taking the freedom of a cell phone user is ok, but taking the freedom of someone who doesn't want to wear seat belts isn't? If you give away others freedom without caring, eventually they will take your freedom.

around here the po's have sevral unmarked cars, they have the monte carlos, camaros/firebirds and corvettes... but i have also have seen a F250 (i think, maybe a 350) that was white with the off road package on it, and it had a winch on the front and mud all over it... and as he turned onto my street, and my eye level was at his grill i could see the lights in grill :confused:

another thing that i dont like is the 'baldy' cop cars (the ones with out lights on the roof)

on the level of entrapment, i heard this somewhere that if an undercover cop comes up to you, and asks you for something illegal, like if you can find him drugs or something... and you ask him 3 times if he is a cop and he denies it 3 times that he cant bust you any more.. can anyone shed light on this?

-neil

If you are not breaking the law it doesn't matter what they are driving. Why is it that people think if there is not a cop around they can do anything they want?

Hey I never said ban cellphones while driving, nor even putting on makeup and shaving or reading.

What I mean and meant was that when these idiots happen to be swerving around and in the wrong lanes pull them over for "Failure to Drive Right".

I always loved that one. :)

My point is you can find plenty of motor vehicle infractions in a marked car, make that your traffic police car as I know all about the other duties and risks.

We have traffic cop cars in our town that fortunately spend most of the day in the donut shops. :D

I also didn't know that I had to be pro big brother to call 911 and get the services rendered that I have paid taxes for for the past 31 years. :rolleyes:

I try to avoid police as many are extremely confrontational. ;)

Re: Re: Come back to the center a bit Ter..

Originally posted by TurboTer
I have never been in the center, so there is nothing to come back to. I don't care if it saves lives by banning talking while driving. It would also save countless lives by making a federal speed limit of 20 mph, but it's just not practical. Why shoud I have to suffer if some idiot isn't good enough to talk and drive at the same time? Nobody listens to that law anyway. Drunk driving is another story. There's no reason at all to do it, and it's MUCH more dangerous than driving while talking on a celly. But I am TOTALLY opposed to taking away someone's car while drunk driving, but I guess that's another story.

Ter... If this is honestly a suffering burden to you then perhaps you shouldn't be driving a TR or any car for that matter. Yes, there are some of us co-ordinated enough to drive a car and do other activities. That doesn't make it right for the masses. Because most drivers have enough difficulty with handling the car alone. You don't care if it saves lives if people aren't reading books, putting on make-up or talking on the cell phone???? It is your right and the right of others to be careless and foolish? Ter, I have no idea how long you've been driving a car, but I can almost gaurantee (god forbid) that one of these people not paying attention will inflict some sort of harm or inconvenience to you. When that day comes, please repeat what you just said.

Lastly, you are TOTALLY opposed to taking away someones car for drunk driving?? My former room-mate used to have a blow-to-start device on his car because he got a DWI that went through three different counties and required some brave state trooper to spin him out in a ditch. Nobody was hurt that night... How many nights like that have to happen before somebody says enough is enough.. that person should NOT have a car.

As to the original conversation about police as taxi's... yes, it's pretty damn sneaky and I'm sure we all hate it when we get caught, but I'm sure we'd be just as happy when the day comes that taxi-cop catches some scum trying to steal your TR.

Originally posted by TurboTer
He violated the Fourth Amendment by searching your car. He ought to be fired, then hung for treason against his government.

My response to this highly intelligent quote...

Ya'll that are anti police and want to cut the balls off police rights can also click the above link. I'm tired of people that don't know what the hell they are talking about telling US how to do OUR job and getting mad when they get caught BREAKING the law. It's as stupid as "Oh, I forgot to turn my nitrous bottle on....won't race uphill..."

If you don't like how the American justice system is? I heard there's cheap real estate in Canada, Mexico and Iraq.

Neil, there's no law like that. Law enforcement is legally allowed to lie to conduct an investigation. And that's a SUPREME COURT RULING folks...take it up with them if you don't like it.

Why am I so pissed today? Find my other post in the Lounge. When YOUR job deals with what it says, then you can talk like a dumbass and I'll be ok with it.

TurboTer,, Lets take all of the unmarked police cars and plainclothes detectives out of Staten Island. Lets go further and remove traffic lights, stop signs and even school crossing guards. It's bad to want protection from others. The cops should also drive 4 cyl "K" cars so they can't catch anybody. All of the above are byproducts of the "big brother" explosion:eek:

First thing that was taught to me in Drivers Ed:

NO ONE has the "right" to drive, it's a priviledge, you abuse it, you LOSE it.

If you are not breaking the law it doesn't matter what they are driving. Why is it that people think if there is not a cop around they can do anything they want?
<chuckle> I kinda have to agree; whenever you're about to break a law, you'd BEST think about the consequences! And think about this for a moment: if a cop in a Toys-R-Us delivery van sees a ratbastard trying to steal your car and prevents him from doing so, are you gonna give one $hit about what he was driving? I highly doubt it! In fact, if he WAS in a cop car, YOUR car would probably be history about 5 minutes later! But if that same cop catches YOU doing a burnout in Denny's parking lot, he's cheating! ;)

And for my final rant--the cops, gov't, whoever, should have NO RIGHT to take a persons car for WHATEVER reason! Take his drivers license and confiscate his registration, and even prevent him from ever being able to register it again, FINE! But the car is HIS PROPERTY, and I have a major problem with those in power being able to confiscate ANY property for ANY reason. Hell, in the case of a drunk driver who kills someone, they should MAKE him KEEP the car FOREVER...having to look at it every day might serve as a deterrent....

(ok, I'm done! :D)

The cops should also drive 4 cyl "K" cars so they can't catch anybody.

Funny..New Haven Ct police used to have a ton of these police cars.

There is a difference between eating, putting on makeup etc while driving, than driving with a cell. You are in control of what you are doing alone. You can stop the make up applying, or put the cheeseburger down when it comes time to signal, people won't just drop the phone to signal. It also takes alot more concentration to carry on a conversation than to eat a burger or take a sip of coffee. When your on a cell listening to someone talk and you have to make a quick driving decision, it will be delayed if your listening to someone speak on a cell,its alot easier if you are the one talking at the time. I read this in some study and it made senese to me. I know I can drive half asleep from instinct. Hell i've driven home from work and couldn't recall half the ride because i was "out of it". I would say i'm a very good driver with a cell and a cigarette in my hand at the same time, but noone here with a cell can't tell me they havent had a close call while trying to look at the phone to dial a number.

I knew this post was hijacked. It had no responces for a while, then wham! I got a million notifications in a short period of time.:D

OK... about 'taking' someones car...

OK.. I'll agree with what Buick from Hell said. Yes, the state doesn't have a right to TAKE your car away. It is your property. I'll agree with that statement. What I was saying about them not having a car would apply more to what you said like taking the registration and priviledge to drive a car or even better locking you up so you can own a car from your prison cell.

Lastly, try driving over here on the autobahn and talking on a cell phone at the same time. When that road starts coming at you at speeds that start at 80mph and has cars ripping by you at twice that speed you need to really be on the alert. Even if you are driving a leisurely 70-80 mph, you go into the wrong lane for just a split second and it's almost certain that you will get plowed into by someone who was lawfully travelling at speed.

It's people like that are going to kill others who are fully paying attention to the road.