Coolant Temp Sensor

G. Price

I picked up my car after having the engine rebuilt. New strocker and new cam kit. On the way home the scanmaster temp. reading climbed to 304 degrees but the mechanical temp. gauge showed 170. I'm thinking I need to replace the temp sensor. Is there any way to bypass this sensor until the new one arrives? Maybe unplugging it? The check engine light comes on and I don't want to drive it that way. Thanks in advance.

I had a problem like this just the other day. Powerlogger said the ECM was reporting the coolant temp going up and down from 180 to 220, but my VDO temp gauge stayed on 180???

Sometimes temp sensors will crap the bed like that. I would definatly replace the sensor. What does the SM show when the engine is cold?. If you do disconnect the sensor the computer will read the coldest temp it possibly can, and dump fuel into the engine. Its the computers default to read cold without the sensor in place (open circuit) so you dont run lean and pop the headgaskets. In your case its leaning out the A/F mixture because its reading high coolant temps, and a really hot engine doesnt need as much fuel as a really cold engine.
I
I
V
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dTvSa1rCOY[/YOUTUBE]:p:D:D;)

SM reads 244 with the key just turned on. Sensor has been ordered and will be replaced.

New frustration... Now the car won't start.

I can't wait to get everything sorted out and just drive the car!!!!