Coolant Temp sensor location to install mech. Water temp gauge???

thunderace31

Banned
Ok I have been looking for something to help me on all the sites and I cant find poop :(

anyway what I am trying to do this time lol is put a Mechanical Water temp gauge in but I dont want to put it in or take out one of the sensors for the eng.

There are 2 sensors that look to go into the Intake Man. one is on top just off to the right of the Stat and has 1 wire going to it.

The other is below it also on the right and has 2 wires going to it and is in the front part of the intake next to the alt.

Now what one can I remove to put the Mechanical lead sensor deal in???

Thats all I need know I also looked for photos of eng. that may have one installed but it looks like everyone is is using electric gauges I dont like electric since they are never spot on like the mech. ones are.

Thanks for the help also

There are 3 sensors in the intake. The one on top is for electric fan control, the one with 2 wires on the driver's side of the thermostat is the coolant temp sensor for the computer, there is also on on the passenger side of the thermostat with one wire going to it. This is for the dummy light. You can remove this one. You might need pipe adapters to get the right threads.

Ok I am lost lol.
I only saw 2 and I guess there on the drivers side lol looking at the motor would be right side but really the left alt side I guess.

Anyway I would like to use the one that has 1 green wire going to it that is next to or close to the alt. on the drivers side now reading this I am guessing here that is the one for the High speed fan for the computer that comes on over 200 degrees???
Since I am going to put a high speed switch in for setting in the staging lanes at the track could I just turn this in to a jumper to ground to turn on the high speed fan??

Sorry for all these questions just want to make sure I dont f*ck anything up just to put in a gage lol

Thanks for the help guys :)

There are 3 sensors. As stated above. 2 go inot the fron of the lower intake. One on the passenger side of the water outlet and one on the drivers side of the outlet. The drivers side has 2 wires yellow and black. This is the ECM's temp sensor. The one on the passenger side with 1 wire attached is the temp idiot light on the dash. On the drivers side inserted vertically into the top of the intake under the throttle linkage is a temp sensor with one green wire. This is to control the fans when the temps go up. You do not want to remove the Fan controlled or ECM sensor. These really need to stay to make your fans and ECM run properly. Hope this helps.

There are 3 sensors. As stated above. 2 go inot the fron of the lower intake. One on the passenger side of the water outlet and one on the drivers side of the outlet. The drivers side has 2 wires yellow and black. This is the ECM's temp sensor. The one on the passenger side with 1 wire attached is the temp idiot light on the dash. On the drivers side inserted vertically into the top of the intake under the throttle linkage is a temp sensor with one green wire. This is to control the fans when the temps go up. You do not want to remove the Fan controlled or ECM sensor. These really need to stay to make your fans and ECM run properly. Hope this helps.

Ok I got it then I have to find the one on the pass side in the front of the intake for the Idiot light Ill never use anyway lol.

That makes much more sence to me also thanks so so much! off to install the new gage! Cant wait to have a real temp gage will be nice to know for sure what the heck is going on !! :D

Ok I got the right spot on the pass side but I need the fitting size to put the damn thing in I went to the auto store they had nothing that would work :(

Thats a small hole anyone know what size it is??

Or better yet a P/N for the adapter??

Thanks again for your help :)

The stock sensor locations are all far too small for the Autometer mechanical sending units. I drilled and tapped the intake on the top, flat spot under the throttle body:
got to learn how to post pics...

Mech temp gauge

Hi,
I agree, the idiot light SWITCH(it's not a sensor),is the place to put this. How long is your probe? Usually 1.5 inches or so,as I remember. Any good hardware store has a variety of NPT adaptors,which should couple your sensor into place.As I remember,this one was about 1/4 NPT. At worst, you might have to run a short extension to fit the probe. Please correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps!

see if this pic works:

Attachments

• Picture 183.jpg
    Picture 183.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 308
The stock sensor locations are all far too small for the Autometer mechanical sending units. I drilled and tapped the intake on the top, flat spot under the throttle body:
got to learn how to post pics...

Ok now I know this is wrong 100% as others are saying they have put the gage in this location :)

The prob fits but the fiting that came with it is way to big. I what I took out of this location was an electrice sender for an electrice water temp gage that was in the car. (Didnt realize this was the loaction I thought they taped into something till I took it apart) Now it had an adapter but its hole is to small for the new sender unit. :(

I have not been to the hardware strore yet I just thought maybe there was a fitting that AutoMeter made that would work.

Thanks for the help
Derek

thanks for keeping this thread up!! it helped me significantly over the weekend!

trying to install a Be Cool radiator and dual fan set up... WHAT A BEATING... :(

thanks for keeping this thread up!! it helped me significantly over the weekend!

trying to install a Be Cool radiator and dual fan set up... WHAT A BEATING... :(
The op hasn't been on the site since 2011.
Glad you got the info. Just don't expect him to respond.