Coolant on Head Studs

TryMeGT

Was looking over the engine recently and noticed there is coolant on the first head stud around the threads. The car has been sitting since November and the motor is fresh with Cometic gaskets. Motor has maybe 1000 miles on it.They have not been retorqued yet. Has anyone else experinced this? Should I have reason to be concerned? Will a retorque possibly resolve this. It is hard to see but you can see a slight weep above the nut on the threads.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• P3210006.JPG
    P3210006.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P3210007.JPG
    P3210007.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 144
Did you put any teflon paste on the studs when installed? This should stop that problem.

Retorque probably wont help. If there was sealer put on the threads, I would throw a couple of Barrs leak (Cadillac) tabs at it. I had the same problem and they took care of it.

People have pulled studs one by one and resealed or pulled the heads again for the same problem, but that is not required IMHO.

My $.02, worth every penny I charge for it.... :biggrin:

Thanks Guys. Teflon was put on the studs. I think I will pull that one and re do it. Since they are studs they aren't in very tight anyway. I need to check the other ones too.