Coolant boiled today

GNTurbo6

Asian guy in redneck car
It was pretty hot out, in the 90s but still I don't think that should happen. I'm probably due for a flush. Car has a 160 degree thermostat and f-body radiator with dual fans. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Bad rad cap probably. Or some type of leak. I would pressure test it to see if it holds pressure or not.

I replaced the cap last week but today the temps got up pretty high, just about 230F and I could smell the coolant. I'm thinking that maybe my fans aren't coming on. The previous owner did an F-body radiator swap and installed dual fans. Are there any other possible causes for this? I'm thinking maybe bad thermostat? I'll be doing my coolant flush this week and filling it up with Toyota red coolant, distilled water and some water wetter.

One of the starter wires disentegrated on mine last summer which led my fan to quit working completely all together. Car got up to 240F when I limped it home and noticed that the fan was not coming on at all. Once I found the wire completely disentegrated (thanks to turbobuick), I hooked it back up and have been running fine ever since.

Do you have a FMIC my car is set up just like yours but I have a FMIC and it has been doing the same thing I was thinking the FMIC may be blocking the air flow. What is the temp on your scan master my scan master temp said 203 and My VDO gauge said 230. I have been thinking of going to an aftermarket radiator and doing a way with the f-body one

The scanmaster temp got up to 230ish, I don't have any other way of checking the coolant temp. I have the stock intercooler so I doubt it's an issue of air flow. When I got moving again it got back down to 185. Guess I'll start by tracing my fan wires.

It was pretty hot out, in the 90s but still I don't think that should happen. I'm probably due for a flush. Car has a 160 degree thermostat and f-body radiator with dual fans. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

We have the same set-up…90 degree tempt. (out side) and our tempt. is 165 to 175 degrees. Fans kick-on ---drops tempt. back to 163-165.
Our wiring harness came from John at Caspers’ and is a plug-n-play for the f-body fans. Give John a call, he’ll get you going. :cool:

Ok just found out that the connectors on 2 of the wires were old and brittle and broke off. They had female spade terminals on them that broke off so I crimped a new pair on. Gonna give it a try and check to make sure the fans turn on.

EDIT: Yup, they turn on now. All is good.