Converting off the 87 MAF

BRAD_PADGETT

It is time for me to upgrade from the 87 MAF to the LT1 and the translator. The cost is the driving force. The rebuilt 87 MAF are too expensive and may have reliability issues. Tranlator is $200 plus shipping and a used LT1 is $50. Rebuilt 87 MAF is $190. Todays electronics are so much better. I will post on my results. Take-care- Brad

Keep posting your results. I am still waiting on my used 87 MAF. Need to know my options.

P.S. Thanks for your input...It helped ALOT!!!
---Keith

brad let me know how u like it. i have a new lt1 and translator in a box at the house that i have never put on the car. Not sure if i want to either.

I will let you know how it works once I get the translator. It should be plug and play. Brad

Brad............what would it take for you to ditch the MAF alltogether.......I'm not familiar with the translator options, but is that one of them ?......with your list of mods and a wideband, it looks like you could benefit from not running a maf at all...no flame intended, just curious.

Dwayne- I have heard a rumor that TT is working on a MAFless chip. I need to suck it up now and get rid of 20 year old stock MAF's and the horribly over priced remanufactured ones. The translator is a proven product and there are literally millions of LT1 MAF's which I believe are still being made. You can buy the translator from TT as well as Fullthrottle. I will post results once I get the translator. Take-care. Brad

....another ?.......does Eric Marshall have a mafless option on his chips like a ME-R ?

I typed too slow.....I know that TT and Yaklin worked together..........and as sharp as Eric is, I can see a mafless version in the horizon.......lets us know how it works for you.

Dwayne- I have heard a rumor that TT is working on a MAFless chip. I need to suck it up now and get rid of 20 year old stock MAF's and the horribly over priced remanufactured ones. The translator is a proven product and there are literally millions of LT1 MAF's which I believe are still being made. You can buy the translator from TT as well as Fullthrottle. I will post results once I get the translator. Take-care. Brad

Brad,
Been trying to call you for 3 days! LOL
Not a rumor anymore :cool: ..... Look at the last chip listed here
TurboTweak - Turbo Buick Custom Chips and Parts
Contact Eric.

Edit:
As in any SD chip, it will require a IAT in the intake, after the turbo. :cool:

I typed too slow.....I know that TT and Yaklin worked together..........and as sharp as Eric is, I can see a mafless version in the horizon.......lets us know how it works for you.

Not only sharp, SUPER nice guy and service is AWESOME!!
Chip has some AWESOME features!!
All I can say is "WOW!!" :cool: :biggrin:

Brad -let me know also how you like it I've got a LT1 maf and Translator 2 sitting on the shelf as well--haven't installed it either...

I installed my LT1 MAF and translator YEARS ago...Back when the translator first came out. I don't even think my translator is upgradeable like the newer ones are, mine is so old...

Worked great, last time I drove it(4-5 yrs ago) :eek: Wiped the cam, parked it and walked away(3 cams in under 2 yrs)...Finally got my motor fixed up(thrust surface on face of block worn, now fixed(pics in another thread)...Also did the factory style roller lifter conversion featured in the other massive thread, got some pics of my conversion in there...Made some solid rocker arm shafts, got pics in another thread if you haven't seen those yet) Motor just needs to get all assembled.

For those who don't know my setup, I just haven't been active here in a while.

My setup is as follows...
109 block, .030 over
Stage Jr heads(no EGR or heat crossover provisions, CNC bowl work done, short side radius worked) flows real good...
stock 86/87 lower, custom upper plenum to keep turbo in stock 85 location
TA 51 turbo with PTE exhaust housing
MSD 50# injs.
DeQuick V-2 front mount IC
212/212 roller cam
Neil Chance 2800 stall l/u converter
3" Terry Houston DP prototype made by a longtime current vendor
Joe Lubrant low timing street chip

All of the above, except for the roller cam went 13.5 @ 108 on street tires with 92 oct pump gas, open dump, 16# boost with a 2.4 60' time(cam was a Comp Cam 206/206) chassis dyno'd the week before at 330 HP/440 torque on 92 oct pump gas at 16# boost, closed dump...

Sorry to hijack the thread, got a little carried away... ;) :biggrin:

It is time for me to upgrade from the 87 MAF to the LT1 and the translator. The cost is the driving force. The rebuilt 87 MAF are too expensive and may have reliability issues. Tranlator is $200 plus shipping and a used LT1 is $50. Rebuilt 87 MAF is $190. Todays electronics are so much better. I will post on my results. Take-care- Brad

I just installed a brand new Delphi MAF Lt1 and a new translator from TT. I have been running a reman 87 MAF from Turbobob924. No comparison- The new setup runs distinctively better. My final opinion is get rid of 87 MAF's as well as reman ones as well. I will share all info who ever wants it. Take-care- Brad