converters

madhat

Are the Poston 2800rpm lockup converters very good? If not, do you suggest any others?

Don't know about the Poston's converter, but can tell you from experience I would NOT recommend a HUGHES converter. Hughes was recommended by DRW here in San Diego, 10 months later converter took a dump wiped out the tranny, DRW pretty much washed their hands of it said tough.

I have spoken to many and there are only really a few choices of converters, 9X11 from Bruce, or you can go to the converter shop, where Bruce get his stuff, ask for Rusty, you can get a precision single or multi disk, or a modified stock converter. I would not fool around with a poston's convereter, they are not a converter shop, only a retail outlet for other vendors product. I only say that based on my experience with the Hughes unit, not becuase I have heard bad things about Poston's unit.

Good luck, choose wisely, tranny rebuild are not cheap.

yea I tried something different thinking maybe there is something better out there then what everyone else is using, and I am paying the price. I am actually going to be using a Billet S3 converter from the converter shop, should be here end of this week/begining next, then I am back on the road. Been down since mid December.

funny

I don't remember selling you one? Where did you purchase it?
Bruce
WE4

how much do the converter shop's converters cost? All I need is a 2800ish stall that can handle like max of 500 horses.

If you are looking for a good economical convertor, we have been selling the orange strip convertor for at least 6-7 years for the turbo buicks, it works just fine. Not sure why anyone would try something that has not been proven.

Jack?

Are you saying that my stuff has NOT been proven?

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

I think Jack is probably referring to the Hughes converter that DRW here in San Diego sold me as not being proven. It has proven to blow up in my particular application.

Originally posted by litz
I think Jack is probably referring to the Hughes converter that DRW here in San Diego sold me as not being proven. It has proven to blow up in my particular application.

I agree ...Jack is referring to the Hughes converter Bruce.

If you are looking for a good economical convertor, we have been selling the orange strip convertor for at least 6-7 years for the turbo buicks, it works just fine.

I had that converter in my Daily driver about that long ago Jack...(I think I got it from you Jack) ....That is a great econo convertor.:)

Jesse
:cool:

SUPER NICE CONVERTER

Originally posted by JCotton

If you are looking for a good economical

convertor, we have been selling the orange

stripe convertor for at least 6-7 years for

the turbo buicks,

it works just fine.

It sure does work fine in mine, Jack! :)

Been banging my orange stripe hard for three years! Been to track running slicks many many times, too! This converter has outlasted lots of other pieces I've broke! :eek:

Me bad

I got one helluva cold and my head and mind are plugged and just aren't thinkin right. Read again it makes sense.
Sorry Jack, No ill intentions.:D

Bruce
WE4

BTW

Originally posted by litz
Not sure, not their sales guy, just a customer, you'd have to call them. But it seemed on their web site the prices were pretty much the same as Bruce's.
http://www.tcsperformance.com/

It is Bruce's. I talked with Rusty today.
I will say it again. Rusty and I have a deal. Buy it from them, buy it from PTS, I still win. Rusty and I have joined forces in this converter. I take the orders and combos and take it from there. He makes the parts and builds the converters.
BTW , from what was relayed to me, it was a stock covered converter you were quoted. Our billet front cover ones are more.

Bruce
WE4

yea stock front covers are less then billet, but I am getting a billet, not directly from Rusty, ordered through Len in Vegas. Originally discussed non billet with Rusty, but do not want to revisit Len in Vegas for a rebuild just to race, so going billet front cover.

You will be a smilin, I gaurentee it..!!! :D:D:D

Bruce
WE4