Converter problem

shock tube

My 87-t is acting up. I have 160,000 miles on origanal everything. In OD on the freeway the car is tacking 4 grand at 70 MPH. This doesn't seem right. Is the converter not locking up or do i have a more serious problem. The car had previously been sitting for 6 or 7 years and i been driving it for about 2 months now.

using stock tach. I figure its off a little bit but not that much. It still idles at the same rpm it always has, around 1,000 rpm. It tachs 5500 and shifts at this and it feels right. The gears also seem very close as the shifts are somewhat close together. On the Freeway it runs at 4,000 grand at 70. If i let off the RPM's drop almost 800 to 1,000 RPM. When i go to accelorate it jumps 1,000 grand to get power to move. I think it is something in transmission but i could be wrong.

Do you have a scanmaster yet?

Scroll to the tach. screen and compare the numbers if you do.

If not you should have a good scan tool.

Factory tach. is only right when the car isn't running and the key is off. ;)

Shock, it doesnt sound as if you are going into o/d or lock up from the rpm you are running at that speed. Where in Cali are you? Let us know and maybe we can get you to someone in your area that can drive it at least and let you know what they think. I will have to say, at that milage, if it's still the original trans, you are looking at some work for sure. Let us know. Mark:D

No i don't have a scan master yet any help on whats the best on the market and where i can get one.

The car shifts through all for gears, thats why i think maybe converter. I am near Eureka Ca. Middle of no where and 5 hours to Sacramento. Who does good work in Ca. on rebuilding tranny's. Thanx for input.