converter combo help ptc 3200 10 inch

HouTX87

I'm concerned this converter may not work properly with my combo. I currently have the 10 inch ptc 3200 lockup. Basic mods are TE44, stretch slic, TA DP, stock engine with supporting mods, LT1 maf and axis translator. When I installed the te44 spool up was very slow in first gear. With this converter it now spools quickly but is it too loose? 3200 @ 0 psi. I've since noticed the first sign of a crack in my driver side header which I plan to have properly repaired soon. Blm are 120-128, 11.0-11.2 afr at wot in 3rd gear. Over the summer car ran 13.1@101 on 17psi on 93 only. I'm installing alky in a few weeks and plan to tune for 25 psi and want this combo to be right. Any help appreciated.

It is loose for your combo a 2800 would be a better match , specially with a stock motor ! Easily restalled and cheaper than buying a new !

Sell it on here and call David Husek and get a 3021 you won't be sorry.

A 2800 10" is too loose for a stock head/ cam car when turned up. The converter from Dave would work great.

I'm concerned this converter may not work properly with my combo. I currently have the 10 inch ptc 3200 lockup. Basic mods are TE44, stretch slic, TA DP, stock engine with supporting mods, LT1 maf and axis translator. When I installed the te44 spool up was very slow in first gear. With this converter it now spools quickly but is it too loose? 3200 @ 0 psi. I've since noticed the first sign of a crack in my driver side header which I plan to have properly repaired soon. Blm are 120-128, 11.0-11.2 afr at wot in 3rd gear. Over the summer car ran 13.1@101 on 17psi on 93 only. I'm installing alky in a few weeks and plan to tune for 25 psi and want this combo to be right. Any help appreciated.
With a 3200stall on a 49 we saw a difference of 4.5 mph between manual lockup in 3rd vs running unlocked.this was on a 10.5 converter that was built to handle wot lockups which your ptc 10inch cannot do.the converter is very important to maximize the combo time for a swap inmo.

The PTC 10" 3200 is way toooo loose for any Turbo Buick. The stator/pump combination used in it will not allow the converter to start to couple till around 5600 RPM.. You most likely are seeing 25+% slip. Now that converter will make the car extremely fun to drive, but no real performance available for your combo.. I suggest an upgrade to one of my 3021 series converters, It will be custom built to your car and will give you the performance you are looking for. If you need any more info please feel free to contact me with a call. On occasion, I can upgrade the PTC 10" to my 3021 series converter, it is hit or miss with them..

If this car is going to be raced only with a stock motor and small turbo, I have a new converter designed just for that, a 3018 series converter.

David
516-285-1103

Thanks everyone. David, I'll probably be contacting you after the holidays. The car will only see the track occasionally. Goal with this combo is maybe 11.5 if the transmission can handle it. Trans is still stock internals, ext cooler, shift kit, deep pan, 34k miles. I'm guessing I must have a pretty good pre turbo exhaust leak based on such slow spool up with the d5.

Put the alky on and tune it at the track. See what results you get before you go changing converters. Its not ideal for your combo but you will have more detailed information before you make the next switch.

guys the op has a stock cam and heads,the motor is finished in the mid 4000 rpm range that converter doesn't couple the power in that rpm end of story.

I had one of these converters on my unopened long block I was trying to push hard and what David Husek describes was my exact experience. Waaayy too loose. Tons of slip, fun for hole shot but that's it. Car was faster with the stock D5 unlocked. I left it in the car for about 3 weeks lol. It just won't couple in the range we need it to

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Talk to Dave. He can get you a nice tight street convertor. I will be getting some track times this spring with his 3021, I don't have any data yet as the weather moved in here in the north before I could get any logs, but from a small amount of street driving the car flashes around 4400rpm and shifts before 5200 rpm which tells me it should be good for my combo. For a stock (edit) long block his 3018 may be perfect, I would give it a shot. If the motor spends it's time above the peak due to slip, you are wasting power.

Last edited: