Concerned about knock counts

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
I have a file I grabbed the other day which accumulated quite a few knock counts but it did not show much knock retard. Knock counts accumulated at a rate or 2 or 4 counts at a time, about 100 counts over 7 seconds. Knock retard was only 2 degrees though, and only for a short blip.

The knock ignore was programmed for 3.5 seconds, so it had expired and counts were still accumulating after the expiration.

After the pull, I checked the plugs and they look fine. No evidence of any detonation.

During normal driving, the engine never increments knock count. Shows a typical 6 or 8 counts on startup.

Should I be overly concerned about the counts? Or just take it with a grain of salt and continue to monitor knock retard and watch the spark plugs?

The knock count increases based on the duration of each knock event. An increase by 1 or 2 is a very short event. As you know, the retard degrees indicate how serious it is, with 2 degrees being "no biggy". In a perfect world there shouldn't be any knock retard so perhaps you could look into the spark advance and fueling at the rpm where the knock occurred. If you can, reduce it slightly.

Fortunately this is looking like it's turning out to be caused by a laundry list of typical stuff....
News HR poly trans mount helped quite a bit. Exhaust pipe was close to the floor near the back seat floor board too, fixed that. TR6 spark plugs made an improvement. AR472 spark plugs made an even better improvement. And ofcourse lots of tuning.... My last WOT pull had only 2 counts and a little bit of knock retard with each count.