Computer or MAF Problem

buickturboman

I have an '86 GN that seems run great except it always seemed to get a problem from time to time with the check engine light coming on. When this happens, the car would not idle well and run like crap even sit there and 'chug'. I would generally disconnect the battery and let the computer drain down then fire it back up and things were back to normal.
I want to put it back on the road again after having it garaged for 2 years. I have taken it around the block once a month and this last time the car just seems to 'chug' again. I just sprayed out the throttle body that was dirty. Once I get it started, it was idling ok but as soon as I touch the gas, it breaks up badly chugging like it is missing. I checked my blue silicone hose connections for leaks to and from the turbo as well as the vacuum lines. I just put a new AC Delco EGR sensor on the car. My direct scan trouble codes as before 2 different things at different times. Calpack and Eprom error, then other times a whole list of errors. Resetting the computer and even swapping it out didn't help. I even swapped my chip and put my race chip in it just to see if things improved. NADA...
Any Ideas? I think it could be a MAF problem but I thought that would code if it was so if anybody has had similar probs, let me know. I may have to have it towed to have it checked out.

Direct Scan Service Bulletins.

This is great to know and probably the reason I get erratic trouble codes. Checking his site didn't cross my mind so this is excellent advice! I think my ribbon cable which became twisted last year which led to some erratic behavior while the car was idling now that I think about it. Time to replace the cable and shield it was well. In the mean time I will try both computers without the ribbon cable attached to see if this remedies the problem.I believe I disconnected the ribbon cable once this weekend and problem remained, so I can try it again and drain down the computer and re-try. If this doesn't work perhaps with a new shielded cable I can get accurate and consistent readings. I appreciate this Pacecarta!:cool:

MAF problem?

Ruling out a Direct Scan problem, you all think the MAF would be the next thing to consider? Reason is I think I unplugged the ribbon cable and got the same chugging problem when I depressed the gas last week when I started the car. Tonight if I get the time, I am going to disconnect the battery, drain the computer and start it without the direct scan and ribbon cable. If the problem still there then I need to see what is the next thing to consider. I sprayed the MAF and throttle body with carb cleaner last week.

Ruling out a Direct Scan problem, you all think the MAF would be the next thing to consider? Reason is I think I unplugged the ribbon cable and got the same chugging problem when I depressed the gas last week when I started the car. Tonight if I get the time, I am going to disconnect the battery, drain the computer and start it without the direct scan and ribbon cable. If the problem still there then I need to see what is the next thing to consider. I sprayed the MAF and throttle body with carb cleaner last week.[/QUOTE

I recently sprayed out my my wife MAF cleaner and not a week later my car started (and still is) chugging and acting the same as yours. I thought I was doing the car favor, but I think I helped to kill it. Go figure.