COMPUTER HELP! Video card or motherboard?

1QWIK6

Torque wins
OK.. (cliff notes version)

2.8 Pent 4
2 Gig Memory
ATI X800 Video Card
400 W Power Supply

Computer was turned on one day and I get this "overclock" error message. I pull the side off the computer.

Water cooled system. Water leaked.

Found minor green corrosion on the AGP on motherboard and Video Card (VC)

Framerates at idle are 240 Avg. (use ATI overclock tool).Card is NOT overclocked.

Temp goes from 40°C to 119°C:eek: (at idle)

Cleaned out corrosion on the motherboard and video card with Rubbing Alcohol & toothbrush.

Reinstall card... same thing.. slow framerates and too high of a temp. Fan is @ 100% (visually verified too).

I pulled VC fan assembly off and applied more thermal grease thinking this may help transfer heat. same problem.

Thinking my VC is shot, I get a ATI 9800 PRO 128Mb..

Frame rates are 170@idle. Temps are 40°C @ idle and does not go up much more.

When gaming (Battlefield 2) the framerates are still too slow (even w/video settings @ lowest).

SO.... is my motherboard AGP bad or ???? Why are my framerates so slow?

I would assume it's the video card and not the motherboard based on the symptoms you listed. Most times when I see mobos fail on a desktop the whole machine won't start.

See if you have a friend or coworker with an older AGP video card to troubleshoot before you plunge and buy a new one.

He already got another VC to try...I'd vote for the MB. Did you try your VC in another machine yet?

See if you have a friend or coworker with an older AGP video card to troubleshoot before you plunge and buy a new one.

Thinking I had a problem with the ATI X800 card getting too hot, I put in a ATI 9800 PRO and installed drivers. Frame rates are slower @170(idle) (vs 240 w/X800 VC). Temps are 40°C @ idle and does not go up much more.

When gaming the framerates are still too slow (even w/video settings @ lowest). Slow meaning notchy. The video card is recommended for the games I play. So what could be the problem?

Did you try your VC in another machine yet?

Yes. The temperature is still too high (103°C). BUT....

When I put an slightly older version of the ATI video card (9800PRO), the same problem (slow framerates) still exists. Even thought the 9800PRO runs at a normal temp.

Suggestions?

No no- take your VC card (newer and older) and install them in a known good machine (not in your suspect machine) to test.

I'll bet there are damaged traces in the MB that are mucking up the system...