completely stock knock

Micah

Uconn is better
Alright I don't have much for you guys to go on as I have no scan tool. But my car is completely stock except for some gauges which don't count anyway. I was testing out my boost gauge and I got some popping up front at about 13psi. What's that all about? I have 94 or 93 octane in the tank and the casper's knock gauge, which I'm convinced is broke, is showing nothing. Anybody have any ideas or something for me to investigate?

Well....The stock chip wasn't very good. There was actually a factory upgrade/warranty chip if I remember correctly.

I would look at replacing the stock fuel pump. The filter sock on the original pump was prone to collapsing, plus the factory fuel pump was barely adequate for the turbo motors even in stock trim.

You don't state how many miles are on your car, but you might even be looking at new injectors or at least running some Xylene through the tank to try and clean them up.

The original plug wires may be breaking down.....etc....etc....

Depending on how it has been maintained over the years, I would do a complete "spring cleaning" tune-up per www.gnttype.org.

I would also confirm the 13 psi you're reading. If you have a leak in the boost gauge line you may actually have more boost. See if you can borrow a MityVac tool from a friend and pump up the boost gauge line and check for accuracy and leaks.

Good Luck,
John

Yeah, 120k i bet things are starting to crap out on me and I'm pretty sure that I do have a leak in my gauge. As for the xylene, what's recomended to clean out the injectors? A gallon in the tank every once and a while?

To keep the injectors clean...plus add some octane points...I used to add a gallon of Xylene to a half tank of gas. In your case the Xylene may just loosen up 120K miles worth of gunk in your gas tank. So use it with caution.....

I assume you're not getting any SES (Service Engine Soon) light. If you are getting a SES light, there is a way to pull the code off the computer without using a scantool. Basically, two pins on the ALDL port are jumpered with a paperclip and you count the flashes on the SES light. The procedure and codes are available on www.gnttype.org.

Check the basic things first...plugs...plug wires...look for bad vacuum lines, etc. I would check the fuel pressure at idle and while under boost if possible.

With that many miles on your car it could be anything. The only way to find the problem is by checking things out one at a time until you find the problem.

Good Luck,
John

What's the temperature outside?

On cool days I get very little KR if any at all. On hot days, with no other changes, the KR is a lot higher.

Also depends on the gas. Once I filled up with Amoco 93 and prior to that the car was running fine with little to no KR. Afterwards, I was geting 8 degrees at 5psi! :eek: