Comp Cam kit ????

trbolvr

I'm in the need for a cam and lifters and am looking at buying the
Comp Cam K kit. I just talked with 2 machine shops that were
highly adamant about not using the Competition cams. They both
claim them to be as bad or worse than the stock ones. I like the
kit idea: timing chain, valve springs etc, I'm not set on the Comp
brand. Just thought buying it all in one package was cool. In the
past I've used Lunati cams and been happy with them. Anyone have a opinion on the subject. My turbo just shot craps and I have low oil pressure, so it's rebuild time.......Still looking for a
turbo also or just having my stocker rebuilt...... Budget rebuild
time..... Spent all money on look good stuff and paint :(

Thanks a lot guy's

Im using the comp 218/218 cam kit with no problems. It included cam and lifters. Im also using the comp double roller timing chain but I didn't buy it with the kit.
What machine shop is telling you this. Do they know Buicks?

Be careful!!!!!

Some of us old guys used to consider Comp as junk. They are awfully big these days. After their part in the budget roller fiasco, I have a hard time of thinking well of them. :)

I prefer the factory lifters and will pay the premium for them. That makes me a bad candidate for the kits. I would rather have a single chain rather than a double roller for a mild flat tappet cam as well.

I'd be leary of these shops as well. The factory cam was dang good. I know several guys that are running mid 11s on the stock bottom end with over 160,000 miles on it.

Thanks guys!!

Thanks for the replies, I guess it's just a personal kinda thing.
I may look into the Lunati cams anyway!!!

Got any friends in the auto parts world? I can get a 204/214 Edelbrock or any of the Lunati cam and lifter setups for about $127.00-$150.00. The Edelbrock setup any Advanced Auto Parts can get you for $127.00 and it is on the stock cam specs just a little bigger. Supposedly real quite but I don't have mine in yet.

You could also give T\A performance a call.
I run there camshaft, no problems as of yet!!!

I'm with Steve on the comp garbage. never give them any of my money again!!!

Come on Steve, Comp had no liability in the cast roller FU...they told PTE it was a stupid idea :rolleyes:

That was the old "You hold 'em, while I screw 'em" philo. Suely you would not expect either of them to admitt fault or give a refund, or at least sell billet at cost. Hell, that would make too much sense and have too much morality involved:mad:

Originally posted by shag
You could also give T\A performance a call.
I run there camshaft, no problems as of yet!!!

I'm with Steve on the comp garbage. never give them any of my money again!!!
Comps, Crane, etc.. has blanks that come from basically the same supplier. They put their grind profile on it just like others so who would be at fault? In most cases I doubt it being Comp.

i just put the 204/214 cam in my car 2 weeks ago, runs good and very quiet. I got my cam from flatlander racing for $75 replacement timing set for $16 and lifters locally, same cam as the speed pro, edlebrock ect. I dident use gm lifters this time, but they seem to be quiet so far.
Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by GTEATER
Come on Steve, Comp had no liability in the cast roller FU...they told PTE it was a stupid idea :rolleyes:

That was the old "You hold 'em, while I screw 'em" philo. Suely you would not expect either of them to admitt fault or give a refund, or at least sell billet at cost. Hell, that would make too much sense and have too much morality involved:mad:

Comp should refuse to sell a cam for a use that they know will not work. They passed out a few different stories to various of us that called. In essence, tho, I believe they knew it would not work but they chose to make a few quick bucks and then tell us that they told the vendor it was a bad idea. I believe it does not matter if they told the vendor or not. They are supposed to be cam experts and they should know. If they don't, we should not be spending money with someone that does not know the business. If they did know, we should not be spending money there.

Basically, I agree with you. I guess I was the number 4 cam. :D

I have a long memory.

What ever happened to that list of failures Harry was getting togetheer:confused: :confused: :confused:

I sent my info in, and never heard squat:rolleyes: It's like playing dodge ball with little girls...they don't stay in the circle and most time run off and hide:rolleyes:

I have never used a Comp Cams cam in my GN, but I have used their products in my 455 Buick buildup and in a couple Chevy applications, all with excellent results.

They have always been a class act, and I am as loyal to them as GM itself, however sounds like some folks had some problems, and maybe I need to re-think my position for GN/TR use based on this post?

Just my .02

Comp Cams 206/206 here, full kit. T-chain, lifters, springs, works well for me. 5000 miles and no probs.

Went with the CC 206/206 kit !!

Thank for everyones replies, I went ahead with the CC 206/206.
The guy building my motor highly suggest it and has used them with no problems..... Crossing my fingers........

Still need a turbo ?????????????????

Phil