combination valve,steel or brass?

TampaTurbo

I recently purchased a reman power master. UNLIKE ususal I opened the included instructions and they state that the steel combination valve needs to be changed to a brass one.

Why?

Thanks

Good question! Mine had the same instructions. I asked quite a few people who I respect and they all said the valve has absolutely nothing to do with the PM system in any way. Could it be contamination from the iron valve breaking down or corroding internally? I'll be real interested in this thread.

I ran into the same issue just recently and have not been able to locate the valve. Does anybody have a source for this part.

I recently purchased a reman power master. UNLIKE ususal I opened the included instructions and they state that the steel combination valve needs to be changed to a brass one.

Why?

Thanks

They had a recall on the proportional valve years back & the brass one is the replacement
They are a discontinued item from GM but can be found on ebay or maybe various members/vendors on this board
FRED

Prop Valve

I checked on the recall. It was for external leakage - no internal issues so if the cast one is not leaking, it is OK per GM. The part is discontinued from GM but you can get it here: Product Info or on flea bay.

They had a recall on the proportional valve years back & the brass one is the replacement
They are a discontinued item from GM but can be found on ebay or maybe various members/vendors on this board
FRED

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the recall was only in Canada.
Maybe something to do with the colder weather.
My GN still has the steel valve and so far no problems.

Frank

According to the recall, if the valve was the cast iron type it should have been changed to the brass type regardless. In a nut shell, many cars who had the pressure switched replaced should have had the brass unit installed also by the dealer. Over at gnttype.org they have a picture of the brass unit vs the iron one. So if your installing a remanufactured P.M. from Cardone I would think that you would be within compliance for the warranty if the dealer had already installed a brass unit under the servce bullletin.

The replacement valve from GM was always the brass one from day one. The recall specifically states to replace it on the B-body wagon and not the G-body. This was because the way it sat on the frame rail caused water to drain onto it causing it to rust and thus leak. The only way you're going to get a cast iron valve is to pull a used part out of the boneyard. Millions of cast iron valves in use and still on the road today. I wouldn't worry about it.

Eric,

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess since the P.M. unit was used in different models, Cardone is putting a "canned" disclaimer for the warranty when a remanufactured unit is purchased.