Column Lock.... oh boy

gndoug

CSB Crew
I can't say much for the description or pictures, but the lock system shown is actually of good quality. When properly assembled and used according to the directions, in my opinion, is a better column lock than the majority out there for sale. I looked at several designs before purchasing the Loc-Itt solution. This thing is probably 1/8' thick steel, the padlock hasp and the latch on the top is covered and protected by the design of the bar that protrudes through the steering wheel.
If the guy had a better description and at least assembled it properly, it would
certainly increase his chances of a sale. Buy it, re-paint it and have some peace of mind.
You have to love the knuckleheads on ebay!

I have a Steadfast style that goes on and almost looks factory and is a PITA to get back off....no locking on, it's pretty much permanatley attached.

Those column locks work pretty good what it dosent show is theres a second part that covers the ignition key and has a bar that comes forward thru the steering wheel it attaches with an american padlock that column lock.. new its $100 at murrays with the lock..and it looks muck better in original black.. Lok-Itt Security Products

gotcha. I guess you kinda need the other parts for it to work correctly. I've got a column guard style one. I had the old column busted out on mine before, luckily they were in too much of a hurry to really search for the kill switch. Lesson learned on that one...

I fixed tons of popped GM steering columns in the late 80's.I had to fix my moms twice.The first thing I installed was a collar made by steadfast auto security.I painted it first so it wouldnt stand out.It was a pain to install without scratching the paint.It pins together so it cant be removed without a lot of trouble.I hope I dont have to go in there anytime soon.

Do you have some upgrade to the original ignition switch? I see a few screws in the pic. I thought rememberd Medeco or another company selling upgraded locks for GM columns.

I am sorry if I took over this thread.You have to pop off your original cylinder bezel.I used vice grips.The cover encloses the cylinder so it cant be pulled out with a slidehammer.It comes with a new bezel.You cant use the keys with the plastic caps because they wont fit into the keyslot far enough.I found keys that have the plastic only half way up that work.

Muzz that looks great, I tried painting mine tonight but it came out bad....thinking of just paying to have it power coated, since i figure I'll end up scratching it if I don't.

Not sure why that column guard would keep you from working on the inside....I believe all it's supposed to do is keep thieves from popping open the column.

That looks pretty good!!! On the column guard it completly covers your ignition lock cylinder and the whole area on the blinker side of your column where the ignition pin and switch assembly is. Only downside of the column guard is that you have to take it off when you want to drive the car (because it covers the lock cylinder).