column bearing

equalizer442

i just replaced the igntion lock cylinder today on my new 87 442 and while i was reassembleing it i could not get the lock plate to compress fully. (ive got the tool to remove it and im assuming that its the same tool to reinstal the plate???)

its got about 1/4 of a inch to go lower until i can reinstall the snap ring.

while i was fighting the sob i noticed that the column shaft was moving in and out slightly, plus, after a few minutes the upper column bearing totally fell apart on me. im assuming the bearing should be 1 peice from the factory, not 4 that slide apart?

ive got a few questions,

first off, sence the bearing is bad could this be the reasion why i cant compress the spring under the lock plate the last 1/4 inch and install the snap ring? is there a trick to get it to compress the last 1/4 of a inch?

also, how hard is it to replace the bearing? im not to sure how to get the other half of the bearing out of the column, what tools should i use? once i get it out how easy is it to put in the new bearing?

i would post pictures but my fiance has the camera today, ill have to get it from here when i give her the title tonight. once i get it ill post some pictures of how every thing looks

thanks for your help.

i took apart another tilt column that i had in my t type parts car, the bearing is also seperated, is this normal or do both cars have bad bearings?

also, how in the hell do i compress the lock ring down far enough to install the snap ring? is there a special tool that i need? i used a compressor in this picture http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/column-03r.jpg to remove the snap ring but this thing dont have the power to compress spring, is there another tool that i need to buy?