Collectors, Enlighten Me!

BOOSTD

I have thought about this for quite some time and, in light of the discussion about the GN and GNX on Ebay, I have finally reached the breaking point. Why do some collectors buy cars just so they can store them and wipe them down with a diaper??? Where is the fun in buying a BRAND NEW Grand National, GNX, or any car just so you can store it? Is it an investment? A new GNX was like $25K, right? If you sold it for a good price of $50K, that's a 50% profit. If you take into account the inflation throughout the years the profit is even less. That is a terrible investment if you are in it for the money. So, if its not for profit, and you can't/don't drive it, why do you buy such an expensive car? I've always thought that cars were meant to be driven and not trailered to a car show, trailered back, and then stored? If I had a '71 HEMI Cuda, I would drive that thing every chance I got. Obviously, I wouldn't drive it in bad weather, but I would drive it. Please help me to understand why you would own such a desirable car and not drive it.

BOOSTD

- I would like to point out that I am in no way criticising what serious collectors do with their cars. They are the people who preserve such valuable pieces of automotive history. I just can't understand there motives.

I think some people just like to "have" things. To say you've got a 230 mile GNX at home is awesome. To drive to Target in your 48k mile GNX isn't as cool.

I agree with you though. I've already racked up 7k miles on my GN. Bought it with 34k on December 24th. Bought it to DRIVE it and race it. I used to drive my '67 Cadillac every day too.

LOL:D

Wwow you drive your GN more than I do. You taking about your 8 seconder? You got any pics of it. I'd love to see some.

BOOSTD