Cold Air vs. Ram Air

VinsGN

Its "In Stock"
I would like to get your suggestions and/or recommendations on which provides the best results on our cars. There seems to be a lot more Cold Air intake systems being offered then Ram Air systems. I don’t know if that has to do with the extra cost involved for the Ram Air scope or the lack of added benefit over the Cold Air set up.

I’m looking to up grade my stock air box to one of these systems and would like to know which style I should look at. Also what particular Cold Air or Ram Air system are you running and how do you like it? I’m a stickler for fit and finish so a quality final install is must. Thanks.

I have not heard of any gains with ram-air over cold air on our cars - the turbo sucks the air in. I have a home-made cold air "kit" from Home Depot. If I was a stickler for details I would purchase the Big Mouth cold air system. That is the cold air kit I will get when I upgrade to the Trans+ and 3.5" MAF.

Some of the fastest cars have a ram air setup that uses the drivers side headlight. But "ram air" doesn't give you much in the way of "ram" until you get well past 100 mph, whereas "cold air" or "cool air" is a help, even at low speeds. There are a lot of cold air packages for sale, from the Tin Man, from ATR, from Postons, and Kenne Bell had one that used the air dams under the bumper. Or you can make your own, the way XLR8 did. There's lots of info on how to do it, why to do it, why not to do it.. just use the search function.

I believe the ram air kits are actually somewhat restrictive with the filter being enclosed in a canister. We have sold hundreds of cold air kits and I feel we probably have the best selection of materials. Plain aluminum, powder coated aluminum in silver or black and chrome plated steel.

We also offer MAF pipes in 3, 3.5 OR 4" sizes and our kits can be used with the stock MAF sensor or the Chevy sensors that a lot of people are converting over to. If fit and finish are what you are looking for, check out our Big Mouth kits. :smile:

Just waiting for the naysayers to jump in saying cold air kits are not necessary. Sure, you can just mount a K&N under the hood but I always hated the way it looked with the AC lines rubbing on the filter.

We don't make any claims on huge horsepower gains but never had anyone complain about our cold air kits either. The choice is up to you. :smile:

I have a Kenne Bell ram air setup purchased well over 10 years ago. The KB has a ram air scoop/fiberglass fairing that replaced the drivers side plastic fairing under the front dumper. The filter is located under the hood in a canister. I ran the car that way for several years. I have removed the ram air scoop and installed a short piece of hose off the canister to just behind the drivers headlight. With my car (best e.t. 12.35 @ 110)- stock turbo, injectors, and downpipe the best e.t. was achieved with the ram air scoop removed and hose behind the headlight. The mass airflow sensor will max out at 255 in 1st gear with this setup. When I had the ram air scoop installed I don't remember ever maxing out the mass air sensor. So, I would have to say I was getting more air into the motor quicker. But, the air inlet temps did have a raise in temperature. I was picking up hot air from the radiator while in the staging lanes at the track. As stated above I have read that the ram air affect real doesn't start working until you are above 100 mph. I think any of the new cold air intakes that mounts the filter outside the engine compartment would work fine. I kinda like the Pete Tomka setup the best since it uses all black flexible hose (the most stock appearing) instead of metal piping.

Craig Powell

I used to have the same KB ram air setup mentioned above..air temps were lower than the filter being insaide the motor comparment, but
I too rarely ever hit 255 on the MAF.
I cut out part of the canister to allow more airflow which helped to raise the MAF reading a little, but then the temps significantly increased.
I then made my own cold air kit to relocate the filter outside the motor compartment right behind the headlight and now IAC temps are about the same as outside air temps...works great.
I simply used 1-45d bend and 1-90d bend 4" aluminum exhaust pipe fitting for a semi-truck to make my cold air kit. Used steelwool to give the pipe that "machined aluminum" look.

Thanks for the replies, this was exactly what I was looking for.

From what you have said I am going to look into getting / building a Cold Air set up over a Ram Air.

BuickGn Boosted said:
I believe the ram air kits are actually somewhat restrictive with the filter being enclosed in a canister. We have sold hundreds of cold air kits and I feel we probably have the best selection of materials. Plain aluminum, powder coated aluminum in silver or black and chrome plated steel.

We also offer MAF pipes in 3, 3.5 OR 4" sizes and our kits can be used with the stock MAF sensor or the Chevy sensors that a lot of people are converting over to. If fit and finish are what you are looking for, check out our Big Mouth kits. :smile:

Just waiting for the naysayers to jump in saying cold air kits are not necessary. Sure, you can just mount a K&N under the hood but I always hated the way it looked with the AC lines rubbing on the filter.

We don't make any claims on huge horsepower gains but never had anyone complain about our cold air kits either. The choice is up to you. :smile:

Mark,

I was wondering if you’ve driven up to Marks Auto’s Monday Night Cruise in Granby this year. If I’m correct (please correct me if I’m wrong) I saw your GN there last year?

I’ve got a new born at home so I’ve been unable to make it thus far. Hoping in the next couple of weeks.

Quick question about the Big Mouth Kit; I currently have stock MAF but looking to up grade to a Chevy sensor + translator in the future. Will I be able to adapt the stock Big Mouth to a LS1 Big mouth easily? Would it be just swapping the rubber collars?

Thanks

BuickGn Boosted said:
IJust waiting for the naysayers to jump in saying cold air kits are not necessary. Sure, you can just mount a K&N under the hood but I always hated the way it looked with the AC lines rubbing on the filter. :smile:

:eek: :biggrin:

VinsGN said:
Quick question about the Big Mouth Kit; I currently have stock MAF but looking to up grade to a Chevy sensor + translator in the future. Will I be able to adapt the stock Big Mouth to a LS1 Big mouth easily? Would it be just swapping the rubber collars?
Its been a while since I did this, but it was easy to do. I had to change the coupler between the solid MAF pipe and the MAF (just picked up one of the Fernco 3.5" couplers). I think the piece that connected the MAF to the 90 elbow stretched enough to fit. When you start to do it it will be easy to figure out.

VinsGN said:
Mark,

I was wondering if you’ve driven up to Marks Auto’s Monday Night Cruise in Granby this year. If I’m correct (please correct me if I’m wrong) I saw your GN there last year?

I’ve got a new born at home so I’ve been unable to make it thus far. Hoping in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Haven't been up there this year, YET! Didn't go at all last year. :frown: Best cruise in CT but they haven't had good luck with the weather this year. They always cancel if there was rain the day before or if forecasted for that day because of the field they have it on.

I usually recommend that you buy a longer 45 degree metal elbow when going from the stock to Chevy sensor. Never tried the 3.5" Fernco coupler as suggested above, not sure if it would be long enough to make up the roughly 2" shorter length of the Chevy vs Buick sensor. Got to go to Lowes today and will see if they have any of the Fernco's there to check them out.

Thanks for checking in Grumpy. :biggrin: :D :biggrin:

BuickGn Boosted said:
Haven't been up there this year, YET! Didn't go at all last year. :frown: Best cruise in CT but they haven't had good luck with the weather this year. They always cancel if there was rain the day before or if forecasted for that day because of the field they have it on.

I usually recommend that you buy a longer 45 degree metal elbow when going from the stock to Chevy sensor. Never tried the 3.5" Fernco coupler as suggested above, not sure if it would be long enough to make up the roughly 2" shorter length of the Chevy vs Buick sensor. Got to go to Lowes today and will see if they have any of the Fernco's there to check them out.

Thanks for checking in Grumpy. :biggrin: :D :biggrin:

Ya, the weather has been touch and go this year for them. Ever since the old guy slid into the 58 Chevy which in turn slid into a 65 Mustang (58 bashed pass quarter / Mustang lost its rear bumper, tail panel, trunk lid) they have been real careful about the field’s condition. Someone even was ambulanced out to the hospital, he was between one of the cars. Not good.

It must have been the year before I saw your car because it was parked next to a GNX. I remember your polished Torque Thrust and head light covers, beautiful GN. Are you planning on traveling up this year?

I’ll be sending you an e-mail about the Big Mouth. Thanks.

When I get the $$$, I'll be getting a CAI from either Mark or Pete...maybe both...and what I mean by that is...

I was thinking of buying the 3.5 Turbo to MAF pipe from Mark. Then buy the 3.5 duct from the MAF to the K&N filter from Pete. Making it into a type of hybrid.

I've seen both on a car, and I like the look of both.

A question I do have for Mark is if I went with the hybrid as described above, would I still have to move the charcoal canister? Or because pete's duct is flexible, the charcoal canister could remain in the same location. (I know that with your full kit it would require moving the canister, not a big deal though).

Thanks,
Chris