Cold air intake

89mulletbird

So I have the 7" long KN filter sitting under my hood where the windshield fluid reservoir used to be. Does anyone else notice that your TTA has 50+ more HP before it gets HOT? My ATS is showing 120+ deg F after my car is warmed up and I can feel it robbing power.

I'm thinking of removing my left headlight and routing the air intake into the headlight chamber, anyone else tried this, or have other ideas to get colder air into the motor?

Heat kills the performance of these cars. I used to run 1 or 2 1/4 mile passes each time at the digs because my times would suffer bigtime. I drove my car to the strip and staged hot. It ran 11.7 on that pass. let it cool all the way down and ran 11.4. That is a big difference. Now I did a mod to the car as a ram air that I feel nobody has done before. I spaced my plastic radiator duct in the front with 1/2'' spacers and dropped the back half down 3'' with aluminum supports. Major difference in temp. 172 in the heat to 165 all day long. Also use watter wetter and distilled water. I swear by that stuff too.

You can also relocate the cruise control and put a hole in the bottom panel in the corner. Drop in the K&N to get pure cold air.

Here is a pic of the ram air on my car

Pic1TTA.jpg

I took the driver side fog light out about 15 years ago. I run dryer duct all the way up to the underside of the K&N filter.

I was able to route 3" tube between the fender and inner structure and mounted the air filter behind the bumber cover below the headlight. Had to relocate a vacuum can up to the top side. Made a huge difference. Inlet air temps are always near ambient now.

I tried anything and everything back in 89 racing the wifes new car .. ran the best with a 9" K&N in the nice warm engine compartment:eek: .. Now for all the people who want to try stuff be careful with the ACs under the fender.. rain can get to them . IF a lot of rain gets to them you can have BIG problems :p Oh ya I know the air is a lot colder down by the ground :rolleyes: