coilover suspension question

karolko

With regards to a true coilover setup, which brands would you guys recommend. I know QA1's are in all the top TSM, TSL, and TSO cars, but these are just the regular shocks.

I have also heard people mention AFCO, but very rarely.

Pro's/Con's.

Thanks guys

Adrian

I also have an interest in this swap. Is it a good idea? Will it work properly? $$$. Is it just a gimmick, the factory did well in 84 - 87? I once considered the GNX upgrade by Kirban, however at $2k + labor & new exhaust - pricey.
I could use the extra space in the rear, I have a 3rd muffler which really makes the TR quiet.

My application is more directed towards drag racing and not towards crusing and comfort. Coilovers will make more room in the back by eliminating those factory coils and shocks.

You will have to fabricate coilover brackets on the exle and mount a tube uptop for the upper mounts. Not terribly hard, but if fabrication is not your forte, then be prepaired to fork out more cash.

I prefer Strange and Afco's over QA1's. QA1's have been know to leak even new and the valving in the QA1's can be a bit soft depending on the application.

ks:cool:

I am interested in this as well, what spring/shock rate and length is proper for a 3500lb car front and rear?

Spring and shock rate depends on more than just overall weight. First you need to know the vehicle weight of just the fron and just the rear, but you need to subtract the weight of things that is not being supported by the wheels (axle, tires, brakes, 1/2 the suspension...)

then you need you can figure out the the relative spring rate you will need to give the car a certain ride height. but it gets even more in depth with things like spring preload and other factors.

I really recommend reading Dave Morgan's Door slammers. He explains things reall well.

Adrian

Illegal Regal, do you have AFCO's in the rear? What i really want to know is which length shock you picked out and what compressed height you set the shock up? My car is going to see the street alot so i am not want a shock that has only 4" of overall travel because i know i will fully compress it and extend it out all the way at some point on the street. Should i go with the biggest one i can put in the back?

Adrian

Illegal Regal, do you have AFCO's in the rear? What i really want to know is which length shock you picked out and what compressed height you set the shock up? My car is going to see the street alot so i am not want a shock that has only 4" of overall travel because i know i will fully compress it and extend it out all the way at some point on the street. Should i go with the biggest one i can put in the back?

Adrian

nope havent got that far yet. I am undecided in running your convential style coil-over horizontal or running the afco coil-overs on the stock mounting points. I'd give trz a buzz and talk with them on what you wanna do and they'd be able to tell you exactly what you'd need.