Coil Springs

DavidM

Replacing old shocks/springs with new ones. All the old parts are removed. I have the 2 Lower Control Arm bolts removed from the frame. Spring is in the pocket and shock bolted up. Castle nut on Lower Control Arm/Spindle is on threaded just a bit. All I need to do now is line up the Lower Control Arm to frame and secure the 2 bolts. I am having a hard time lining that up. Any tips/tricks?

Thanks.

If I'm reading you right.. you'll never get it done that way... take the shock out. Put the two frame pivot bolts in first.. then you have to pry the spring into place while jacking the arm up. easier if you have two guys OR use the spring compressor to get the spring back into place.

Ok thanks. The spring compressor I have goes in the inside. Bolt is too long and hits top of frame not allowing spring to fully compress. Going to go autozone and rent the one that goes on the outside.

I used one that went on the inside and fed the rod through the shock mount hole... If you have a big pry bar and a buddy.. that's easier than the spring compressor.

I used one that went on the inside and fed the rod through the shock mount hole... If you have a big pry bar and a buddy.. that's easier than the spring compressor.

Rented the spring compressor from Advanced Auto Parts. They have the internal spring compressor with the 4 hooks vs Auto Zone's 2 hooks and fork plate spring compressor. I drilled the shock mount hole with a 3/4 step drill so that I could feed the spring compressor bolt through it.
Thanks for the help.

I have a spring compressor that goes on the inside. I always remove the upper arms and stick the bolt through the shock mount hole, put a big washer on it and put the nut on the end and use it that way. compresses the spring more and easier than using all 4 arms.