Coil spring compressor question

rastaz

aka 80's Rob
I've borrowed a front coil spring compressor from a friend of mine and I have a couple of questions.

When the spring is compressed the threaded shaft that the hooks are on is too long and I cant install the spring. Is this threaded shaft supposed to pass throught the hole in the frame that the top of the shock passes through? If so then the the problem I have is that the shaft is bigger than the shock hole. Am I doing something wrong here or do I need to find another compressor that has a narrower shaft?

TIA

You pull the shock out and go through the bottom. Put the spring compressor hook end first up through the shock hole and hook them around the spring as far up as you can. Then slide the bottom plate part of compressor through the side of the spring as low as you can. Then turn the bolt/shaft tighter to compress the spring.

Originally posted by 1970gsx
Put the spring compressor hook end first up through the shock hole and hook them around the spring as far up as you can.

I should clarify that I am doing an install here, but it sounds like I need another compressor as the threaded shaft on the one I have is just to large to pass through the shock hole.

Originally posted by 1970gsx
Are you sure? Do you mean the shaft is larger than a shock?:confused: :eek:

Yes, the diameter of the compressor shaft is much larger than the diameter of the threaded rod part of the shock that passes through the frame.

If you are using a coil spring compressor that goes inside the spring, some of those types are used for MacPherson strut type coil springs (and may not fit your shock hole). The spring compressors I have go on the outside of the spring. Are you installing lowering springs? Or factory ride height springs? You may get away with seating the spring at the top, use a large pry bar to hold the bottom of the spring in the spring perch of the lower control arm, and using a floor jack, slowly jack the lower control arm up until the lower ball joint can be re-connected (and the ball joint nut can be installed and tightened). I assume the contol arm is only detached at the ball joint. Otherwise you may have to obtain a different spring compressor. KEEP HEAD FEET AND HANDS ETC.,, AWAY FROM BENEATH THE LOWER CONTROL ARM WHEN JACKING IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

You're right, rastaz, it should go through the shock hole. I've done it a couple of times. It's a real sphincter tightener while you impact wrench that sucker down. Like Jeff said, place the hooks lower in the spring, one set on one coil from the bottom and the other about 4 coils above it. Then crank it down.

Thanks for the feed back guys. The compressor I have is the kind that goes inside the spring. Is this the best kind to use? It sounds like from goftsbuick's description that I might have the strut type which is why it will not pass through the shock hole in the frame.

they dont go thru the hole for the top of the shock

hook your bottom set of hooks as far down on the spring as possible to get the lenth of the shaft to stay inside the spring and not hang out the top.

if that dont work then the compressor you have there is too long.

I put front springs in and out with no compressor on them but dont try that unless you've done plenty of them and know the correct steps to take so the spring dont smash your head in.

if you are working with "trick springs" then good luck they are a pain

Lot's of the compressors out there come with a sticker saying not to use an impact wrench....guess some of the cast stuff might break under the blows?

I have always had a struggle using compressors but it should go thru the hole....lately, I just chain the spring/arm in place so it cannot fly out and use a jack to lift the arm and spring into place....whatever you do, chain it up...

sup teve ?

to get this strait yes it should fit thru the hole in the lower control arm but not the hole in the frame at the top where the threaded part of the shock goes. :) :( :) :( :confused:

I'm using Moog 5660's springs.

I'll try the method were the LCA is bolted to the frame and raise up the ball joint side like gofstbuick suggested. Does anyone know if this method works with the 5660's?

Yes I have and will use a safety chain while doing this

Man that job is a pain the the rear. Here is what ive seen done;) ;) ;) . Ive seen some who have installed a piece of thick iron conduit on the center of the shaft. That way when u tighten the compressor the piece of conduit is taking the shaft slack. The other ive seen is to actually cut someof the shaft off. You have to cut off the right amount and then the compressor is good for only one type of car and spring.

I dont recomend either as any work with the front end is dangerous. At one time i went from stock to Morosos, to stock , to morosos back to stock. So ive been there.;)

Oh and the shaft will NOT go through the top shock hole.:mad:

Dont forget to make sure the spring is in the pocket right. Use your own judgement for impacting, never seen or heard of one breaking :cool:
Good luck

Thanks for all the input guys. In the end I was able to use the compressor I borrowed. The end of the compressor did just fit thru the shock hole after I cleaned up the end of it with a file. This combined with raising the LCA with a jack I was able to install the springs. It was actually pretty easy :) The biggest PITA was getting the compressor out after everything was bolted together.