Coil Pack

if you do buy a coil pack i would buy from Glen at nos4gn.com ..... great prices and service....

aaron

If it's time to buy I also bought from Glen at NOS4GN, I too had the same issue but it turned out to be my ignition module, so I replaced both the coil pack and ignition module, now I have a spare 25 yr old, coil-pack which isn't a bad thing. A couple of weeks later I needed a new MAF, so went with the Translator, z06 MAF and extender chip, after that was ........ you get the point. I have about 55,000 miles on car.

Before buying anything if you know of anyone with good working parts that you could swap out one a time you won't end up throwing money at things that don't need changing. Your symptoms could very well be a number of items, ignition module, coil-pack, maf etc....

I ordered one from Glen the other day (the 39.99 unit), but after tearing mine off last night I think I found the problem. I was reading about 11k ohms on each bank when measuring from the top of the terminals while it was still on the car. Once I pulled the pack & module off, I found some arcing carbon build up on terminal #2 along the side where the plug wire wasn't seated right. It was measuring about 28k ohms at that point. #6 didn't look too good either. Years ago I had a weak fuel pump that gave me fits on this car. It would start surging around 10-12 psi. This time its around 5 psi (with no reported knock). Hope this is it.

If it's time to buy I also bought from Glen at NOS4GN, I too had the same issue but it turned out to be my ignition module, so I replaced both the coil pack and ignition module, now I have a spare 25 yr old, coil-pack which isn't a bad thing. A couple of weeks later I needed a new MAF, so went with the Translator, z06 MAF and extender chip, after that was ........ you get the point. I have about 55,000 miles on car.

Before buying anything if you know of anyone with good working parts that you could swap out one a time you won't end up throwing money at things that don't need changing. Your symptoms could very well be a number of items, ignition module, coil-pack, maf etc....
What were the symptoms you had when it ended up being a bad ignition module?

When you say the plug wires check out, how do you mean? Visually or did you ohm them? On both my turbo cars I've had bad plug wires that drove me nuts trying to diagnose, both times it was a bad wire that looked perfectly fine. I only found them by using an ohm meter to measure resistance through the wire. This means pulling them off one at a time and testing them. The damage on both was at the bend coming off the plug near the header with nothing visible on the outside of the wire. On both my cars the symptom was, perfect idle (hot or cold), no miss or hesitation under normal driving conditions but as soon as the turbo spooled to about 5 lbs there was just nothing. Hope this helps.

Most of the time its the Ignition Module under the coil pack that is the problem. Look at the Module first and then the coil pack.

Pete

Yep, module, cam and crank sensors are more likely to cause a problem. These three parts interface with each other and have a much more complex job than the coils. Coils are pretty cut and dry. IMO They either work or they don't.

RL

What were the symptoms you had when it ended up being a bad ignition module?

My car would run fine for the first little bit, when it was warmed up, it would start to miss and break-up when I hit more than 12psi of boost.

Yep, module, cam and crank sensors are more likely to cause a problem. These three parts interface with each other and have a much more complex job than the coils. Coils are pretty cut and dry. IMO They either work or they don't.

RL
That sounds like the coil pack.

Pete

mine just has a miss at idle...and under normal driving conditions seems a little under power or a little week... full boost it runs ok, no cutting out, good power. i have changed plugs recently, wires also.... just a slight miss at idle..ticking me off....would this be a ignition module or coil pack or?

Usually a bad coil pack or ign module will cause the spark to easily blow out under boost and will drive fine when not in boost. The symptom will be the same no matter which is bad. A Caspers coil/inj tester is well worth the investment. I have used mine many times to determine which was bad on a number of friends cars and my own. Never hurts to have a spare $40 coil pack laying around, but having a spare ign module is a lot of jack these days.
A bad plug wire or connection can cause the same also, again weak spark due to the impedence. A fp gauge taped to the windshield will easily rule out or confirm a fueling / pump issue.