Coil Pack !

cesarp

Has anyone bought a coil pack from auto zone or other part store for a HOT AIR ? I want to buy one and they say that I also have to buy an adapter for it. Borg Warner is the brand. The price is like $80 for the coil pack and $12 for the adapter . I don't have enough money to make a full conversion to the 87 style right now. Will these coil packs work for a stock set up on a HOT AIR ?

Yeah, thats a normal way to run it, '87 coil pack with an adaptor. If you tried to get a new 84 style [if its still available] you REALLY wouldnt be able to afford it : $400+ :eek: . The '84 module is like $700 :eek: . I bought a coil pack from Auto Zone. I wound up bringing it back (it had a warranty) and payed the difference and upgraded to an Accell unit. Dont remember having any problems with the first one just wanted to upgrade (made me feel better :rolleyes: ). The Accell coil pack has been on for close to 2 years and 11,000 miles with not one problem.
Borg Warner huh? When I got the [regular] coil pack from A.Z. I believe it was a Wells product, and was around $50. The Accell was closer to $100. With a stock set up I dont think youd have a problem with either coil pack. However it would make sense to get one now that you know would support any future mods.

Just saw that Ramcharger's has their "high output" coil pack on sale for $75. Check the "Advertiser's Specials" section.

i just bought my motor last week and it doesnt have coil packs on it can i use the coil packs from a 96 camaro 3.8l?? they look the same

thanks

coil

I have the original 85 coil pack and module off my car. I removed it in 1990 with 37,000 miles. Works and looks great. $115 shipped

dont you also need the Ignition module that goes underneath the coil pack if your converting for the first time?

to do it properly
you would need
86/87 coil
86/87 module

adapter plate
and wire harness adapter

www.casperelectronics.com
look under hot air parts

though it might be alot cheaper to get the used one off of Lee

i have an extra , used coil pack and wire harness adapter

email if if your interested!

Originally posted by xxninja
dont you also need the Ignition module that goes underneath the coil pack if your converting for the first time?

to do it properly
you would need
86/87 coil
86/87 module

adapter plate
and wire harness adapter

www.casperelectronics.com
look under hot air parts

though it might be alot cheaper to get the used one off of Lee

i have an extra , used coil pack and wire harness adapter

email if if your interested!
That is the reason for the adaptor plate. To adapt the 86/87 coil to the 84/85 module. This is not converting, just replacing the bad coil pack with the newer style which essentially does the same thing. They stopped making the 84/85 style modules. The 86/87 style ones were/are more readily available (notice they look just like the ones on front wheel drive 3.8/3800's before the individual coil type), so thats going to be one of the options when you go to the parts store to get a replacement. If the 84/85 style is even obtainable still for the rediculous price it costs, so it might be the only option.
Its Just like the original 1prong temp sensor that came on the '84s (had the same plug type like the knock sensor if I remember correctly) changed over to the 2prong type like on the 86/87s, by 85. If you go to the parts store and ask for a 84 temp sensor they will give you the later part and it will come with butt connectors and a new plug to replace the old plug.

That is a good deal for Leeo's low mileage coil/mod, If I had extra funds laying around I would pick it up.

There's an electrical adaptor and a plastic adaptor. I shouldn't admit this but once when I was broke I bought the 87 coilpack and secured it with zipties to my original module. I filled in the half inch of exposed module with black RTV. So basically what I'm saying is if you want to run the later coilpack and retain the original module, no adaptor is absolutely necessary but it looks rigged if you don't buy the adaptor and dirt and moisture can get in between them.

Re: Coil Pack ! ACCEL 140016

Originally posted by cesarp
Has anyone bought a coil pack from auto zone or other part store for a HOT AIR ? I want to buy one and they say that I also have to buy an adapter for it. Borg Warner is the brand. The price is like $80 for the coil pack and $12 for the adapter . I don't have enough money to make a full conversion to the 87 style right now. Will these coil packs work for a stock set up on a HOT AIR ?
THE ACCEL magnavox style from JEGs or Summit comes with that plastic adapter,and retro-fit screws,

I have got three computer controlled TAll hot air coils, and they ain't worth any 115 bucks each, that is a USED PART, junk yard prices apply, not profiteering greed.

coil

Since you know so much about what parts are worth, sell one of yours (how many miles and do you guarantee it ? ) I/ll keep mine.

Hay blackhawk, so if I find a 1969 ram-air 4 engine for my GTO Judge I should only have to pay $100 for it right. ( because it's used ) :rolleyes:

I was thinking about this the other day. I have 3 hotair coils and modules. I thought about putting 2 of them for sale but just couldn't make myself do it. Way too rare and irreplacable. I've also heard they have a hotter spark than the later units. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

it worth such amount when >>>>

Originally posted by cool 84
I was thinking about this the other day. I have 3 hotair coils and modules. I thought about putting 2 of them for sale but just couldn't make myself do it. Way too rare and irreplacable. I've also heard they have a hotter spark than the later units. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

IT's worth such amount , when someone else want's it, if no one want's to buy it, IT Ain't worth anything, JUST good for praise and dust colletion, But, occassionaly, THEIR is a sucker born every day rule that kicks in, in that case you got the screwer and the screwee.

FYI

That's "SCREWOR" AND "SCREWEE"... :cool:

Screwor implies having the abiltiy to give a screw.

Screwee implies receiving the screw.

"I have got three computer controlled TAll hot air coils, and they ain't worth any 115 bucks each, that is a USED PART, junk yard prices apply, not profiteering greed."

So, are you accusing Lee of trying to rip someone off?

You have got alot to learn little boy

Using a Stock tall coil BIG DADDYO?

Originally posted by BigDaddy
"I have got three computer controlled TAll hot air coils, and they ain't worth any 115 bucks each, that is a USED PART, junk yard prices apply, not profiteering greed."

So, are you accusing Lee of trying to rip someone off?

You have got alot to learn little boy

FATBOY, you can ki$$ my Delaware A$$, Go to a parts store and see if they take back electronics parts, If these coils are so valueable? How many hot air guys are still using them?
GM improved the design with 86-87 unit, and then once again with Type II coils,
Your living in the stone age
These 84-85 coils are worth Nothing, a used part is a used part, period

'' a used part is a used part " so like I posted already, what your trying to say is ram-air 4 cylinder heads are only worth $100 because there used and that's also what I can buy 350 cylinder heads for. Heads are heads right. :rolleyes: Should all be the same price right. :rolleyes: If you had a concourse correct show car like my GTO you would understand why people with original '84 - '85 GN's want to keep there car correct ( nice ) but you have a POS Riv. Boy that car will be fast ( NOT ) You dont know what nice is, lets add adapters and splice in a wiring harness to make it run, that looks good. :rolleyes: Like cool 84 said the key word is irreplacable. Once these parts are gone there gone! Also I'm still using my hot air coil - and I bought a spare because it's a nice car and I want to keep it that way. I dont like the butchered look.

GO check your buick history

Originally posted by Bruce Davis
'' a used part is a used part " so like I posted already, what your trying to say is ram-air 4 cylinder heads are only worth $100 because there used and that's also what I can buy 350 cylinder heads for. Heads are heads right. :rolleyes: Should all be the same price right. :rolleyes: If you had a concourse correct show car like my GTO you would understand why people with original '84 - '85 GN's want to keep there car correct ( nice ) but you have a POS Riv. Boy that car will be fast ( NOT ) You dont know what nice is, lets add adapters and splice in a wiring harness to make it run, that looks good. :rolleyes: Like cool 84 said the key word is irreplacable. Once these parts are gone there gone! Also I'm still using my hot air coil - and I bought a spare because it's a nice car and I want to keep it that way. I dont like the butchered look.

Bruce, I am not talking about parts in general, I am talking about Electrical/electronic parts, not a good analogy

Fact> before you call my Riviera a POS, better talk a good look at the buick pecking order,

Riviera E-body >TOP OF THE LINE Luxury
REGAL G-body >Mid-size entry level
Your G-body car will always be faster because of rear wheel drive and lighter weight, my FWD buick turbo's are NO slouch
You G-body Guys are lucky, everyone makes the go-fast parts for you, bolt-on hP items, Just like the stang arena, All those ford lovers have to do is go to a Jegs catalog and bolt the aftermarket junk on, Your cars are faster becasue you got a bigger Army, Alas, but read the RICE fart CAN written on the wall, and watch what these guys are doing Now!

Regards

Is this guy Canadian?

I normally try not to respond to threads like this, but when someone attacks a friend of mine in someone that has done alot for me and various others within the Turbo Buick community, I can't let it roll off. Wish you had left your name Blackhawk, since you decided to get personal. First of all, it is none of your concern what Lee asks for his part. So take your Delaware A$$, as you so eloquently put it, back out to the garage and stay there, you are not wanted here. Only when you have contributed what Lee has to this community, especially the hot air side, can you come on a public forum and question someone's integrity such as his. Secondly, in questioning Lee's integrity you have essentially ruined all credibility you will ever have on this board. You have just stereotyped yourself as an A$$hole, how does it feel? Good luck getting help from this board, from this point on....Have a lovely day...Scott

Re: Is this guy Canadian?

Originally posted by STP
I normally try not to respond to threads like this, but when someone attacks a friend of mine in someone that has done alot for me and various others within the Turbo Buick community, I can't let it roll off. Wish you had left your name Blackhawk, since you decided to get personal. First of all, it is none of your concern what Lee asks for his part. So take your Delaware A$$, as you so eloquently put it, back out to the garage and stay there, you are not wanted here. Only when you have contributed what Lee has to this community, especially the hot air side, can you come on a public forum and question someone's integrity such as his. Secondly, in questioning Lee's integrity you have essentially ruined all credibility you will ever have on this board. You have just stereotyped yourself as an A$$hole, how does it feel? Good luck getting help from this board, from this point on....Have a lovely day...Scott

Well , BOO <> HOO, you dont like Riv's
Well the 86-87 intercooled guy's ain't to crazy about you hot-air G-bodys either,
I said MY coil's aren't worth 115 bucks each,
Call me an A$$hole, you can sit on my middle finger and Rotate, you back water hick!
AND you also have a nice day !