coil overs

ViciousV6

Is there any reason that no one seems to use coil over set ups for our cars?? Seems like it would be ideal as far as balancing grip at the track with grip in the twisties being that there is so much adjustability. I realize that the cost is higher, but I want to do it right the first time. I'm planning on going with the Bell Tech lowering system and Koni adjustables if I don't go coil over.

TIA

From my experience most people would rather build more horsepower than fine tune a suspension. It's a lot easier to go faster that way and probably more satisfying.
IMO, coil overs are not worth the expense unless you are making a lot of power, are going to calculate the Instant Center, Percentage of Rise, etc, and fine tune the suspension.

ks;)

Thanks, Kevin. That's what I have heard before, but I just want some actual input from people such as yourself. Coil overs let you drop the car a lot, but I don't suppose the car should be lowered anymore than the 2" that drop springs provide anyhow. It seems as though the coil overs are aimed more at straight line. Is this correct? The whole point of lowering my car is to improve the look and handling. I think I'll just go with the Bell Techs and some adjustable Koni's. I'm definitely going to look into that IC repositioning bracket that Geno mentioned before.

The coilovers that I am familiar with are for straight line stuff, but I have no idea what the differences in valving and oil viscosity would be between race and handling shocks. Coil overs could be made to work to some degree I'm sure. I don't know what your Et expectations are but if you are looking into relocating the IC then coilovers would not be all that bad. There are some inexpensive (cheap) ways to set up a coilover rear end. Chris Alstons Chasis Works uses some ordinary shocks slipped inside a spring with the adjustable mounting brackets. These work fairly well for what they are. We went 9.1's at 148 with these installed. You just need to make sure you get the correct spring rate with them.

ks;)

thanks again!

Thanks Kevin!! You knowledge seems very in depth. I mentioned the IC relocating bracket b/c Geno uses one on his Bell Tech setup and cut high-1.3x to low 1.4x 60' times!! I guess I'm still confused as to what I should do!! It seems like the Bell Tech setup with some adjustable Koni shocks could be better suited for corners. My ET goals at this time are mid 10's on alky with my upcoming Stage II.

Well, let me help ease your decision just a bit. The secret to good launches is the proper IC position. The shocks just control the RATE of compression and rebound of the front and rear of the car.

I highly recommend checking my Tech Page in my sig. if you haven't already. I have put together a "quick" web page for Launching a Drag Car and I explain a lot of stuff and give examples on how a car should launch. There is 2 pages but the 2nd page is a link explaining more detailed information. A lot of info is contrary to what people believe.

Geno is one of the few that I have met that understand how it should work and his car is set up perfectly! He has his set up exactly how I would set mine up, being lowered and all, and it works perfectly. I even told him so.:D

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know..

ks