Code 45

ViciousV6

I need help! I just had the car out last Saturday and it ran like a dream. I go to fire it up today and it idles like **** so I shut it down. Let it sit for a minute and restart; wants to jump and surge and not really "fire". Look over all of the electrical connections and fire it back up. I get it running, and then it smooths out. Check the Scanmaster and it shows code 45. I reset the computer and try it again. Fine for a minute, so I get her out of the driveway and the code comes back. Car runs fine until accelerated and then it wants to lay down and almost die above 3k RPM. No hard acceleration attempted. Here's what gnttype.org said......

Trouble Code 45 indicates that the O2 sensor is showing a persistently low exhaust oxygen content (rich), despite the efforts of the ECM to decrease injector on-time (thus decreasing fuel delivered). Integrator and BLM numbers may indicate < 128 by a substantial margin.

The conditions for setting this code are:

no Code 34 or Code 35 (MAF error) present, and
the O2 sensor voltage remains above 752 mV, and
the ECM is in Closed Loop control, and
throttle position is < 2 percent or > 20 percent, and
the above conditions exist for more than 20 seconds.

Typical causes for this code include:

1) O2 sensor defective or contaminated (if incorrect RTV sealant or too much RTV is used, this may happen)
2) Leaking fuel injectors
3) Fuel pressure too high
4) EMI interference from poor plug wires
5) Evaporative Emission system defect
6) TPS and/or EGR problem
7) MAF sensor reading higher airflow than is actually present

I've had the problem of my fuel pressure fading ever since I installed a new FPR, pump, and 009s. Replaced the pump last year and that didn't cure it, so I figured it was the regulator and I would replace that this year. Now I'm thinking injectors, but I don't know why it would do this "all of the sudden" when it ran perfect last Saturday. The O2 was replaced last month along with plugs, PCV, fuel filter, and oil change. I guess I'll try replacing the O2 again, and switching my MAF with Raven. This really sucks b/c I'm looking to sell the car and have a guy who's pretty certain. I have to get this fixed! Maybe it's a sign........ ;)

Damn, Steve...... I can always count on you! :D
Turns out that my second stage pressure switch is malfuntioning. It is sending constant signal to the pump and dumping alky in! No wonder the car was rich! Went out last night and tried figuring it out again. Thought maybe the MAF was unhooked or going south. That's when I heard the pump whirring and checked my alky tank only to find it almost empty. An empty tank is only a shock when you just filled it up earlier that day and only drove it around the block! :eek: Disconnected the pressure hoses from both switched and the pump still ran. Finally decided to test each switch by pulling power to each, one at a time. Turned out the second stage was the culprit. Looks like I'll be ordering a new switch tomorrow. I must say that Joe Tripodi answered my e-mail very quickly and was nothing but helpful (as usual!). I highly recommend his services.
This problem was a real pain in the arse b/c I may be selling the car and can't have a little glitch like this ruin the sale. I know, I know....... I probably shouldn't be selling it. But I just miss bangin' gears! :cool: We'll see what happens.........