Code 44 caused by exhaust leak???

NoVaGN84

Hey everybody. Was wondering if any of you have gotten a Code 44 Lean Exhaust code from your vehicle because of Exhaust leaks.Me and 2 friends covered my exhaust with rags and checked the exhaust for leaks. He found one in the doughnut gasket on the up pipe right after the o2 sensor going to the turbo. But I was told the code was being triggered because of exhaust leaking BEFORE the o2 sensor. So I am assuming the 2 doughnuts connecting the crossover pipe and/or the exhaust manifold gaskets are the culprit. Ok am I correct? And where should I buy these gaskets? I've gone to advance auto.com and I heard the felpro doughnut and exhaust manifold gskets are junk. Is this true? I heard to buy remflex gaskets on trcustoms .com. but they don't sell doughnut gaskets. Can sombody help me out? I'd love to do the work myself as I do everything else myself. Also the shops here in Northern VA are very expensive so I would hate to spend a crap load of money on taking it to a shop just to replace gaskets. Also I need to remove my headers to check for cracks. I'm not the best welder so I might have a shop do that for me. I appreciate everybody's help.

PS. Especially Mark who helped me figure out that my charcoal canister was leaking because I forgot to put hose clamps on the high pressure hose on the intank walbro fuel pump I installed 2 years ago. Man that was hard to swallow. Thanks guys.

Paul

Code 44 can be several things. These are: Bad o2 sensor, vacuum leak, exhaust leak(including headers), wrong chip, and fuel pressure too low. I was told of a way to check for vacuum/exhaust leaks. Stick a shop vac. hose onto the exhaust pipe(stick a sock in other tail pipe) and blow air into the exhaust. Spray soapy water on exhaust and vacuum lines and watch the bubbles. There are your leaks. Brad