COA's WHY so Much?

coa carries weight when selling

it's mainly for value reasons but there are alot of frauds out there with them too. only way to prove is to be the person getting the signature and take pics with them if possible. i own alot of sports memorbilia and roughly 85% of them come with COA's. when or before i buy a piece i do alittle research and find out what the auto should look like and what COA is with it and do alittle research on that too. Just my 02 on this along with my knowledge from running a pawnshop for 10yrs that had a few things brought into it with and without coa's.

it's mainly for value reasons but there are alot of frauds out there with them too. only way to prove is to be the person getting the signature and take pics with them if possible. i own alot of sports memorbilia and roughly 85% of them come with COA's. when or before i buy a piece i do alittle research and find out what the auto should look like and what COA is with it and do alittle research on that too. Just my 02 on this along with my knowledge from running a pawnshop for 10yrs that had a few things brought into it with and without coa's.

But don't COA's add to the overall costs. Do they really make a difference in overall in getting more money for an item.

Hard to get photos of dead people signing stuff :biggrin:

coa's

yes they do if they are valid and come with some way for you to authenticate it. if you cannot as in the company doesn't exist, no proof of photo's with the item and the person who's suppose to sign it then it can be a worthless knockoff. Another thing is there are plenty of jersey's so you cannot guarantee it's the actual jersey or what ever the person was suppose to sign. i've got some experiance with them but i will say i'm not an expert, do your homework and if you don't mind always check out the COA's and company pushing the item and the item itself. my wife and i went to a charity flag football game with some retired dallas cowboy players and she got her iphone cover signed by roger staubach and danny white and i have the pics to prove it and several video's of the actual game. this is plenty of proof that i was there and got the autographs. no COA's but pics with wife in pic with both of them and pics with them posing with her. it's really up to you but there are alot of things to buy out there that are knockoff's just take your time and ask alot of questions or you may end up with some worthless knockoff. there are also companies that can verify autographs and coa's for a price. I've never used one but i've seen ad's for them and was referred to one a few yrs back. hope this helps.

yes they do if they are valid and come with some way for you to authenticate it. if you cannot as in the company doesn't exist, no proof of photo's with the item and the person who's suppose to sign it then it can be a worthless knockoff. Another thing is there are plenty of jersey's so you cannot guarantee it's the actual jersey or what ever the person was suppose to sign. i've got some experiance with them but i will say i'm not an expert, do your homework and if you don't mind always check out the COA's and company pushing the item and the item itself. my wife and i went to a charity flag football game with some retired dallas cowboy players and she got her iphone cover signed by roger staubach and danny white and i have the pics to prove it and several video's of the actual game. this is plenty of proof that i was there and got the autographs. no COA's but pics with wife in pic with both of them and pics with them posing with her. it's really up to you but there are alot of things to buy out there that are knockoff's just take your time and ask alot of questions or you may end up with some worthless knockoff. there are also companies that can verify autographs and coa's for a price. I've never used one but i've seen ad's for them and was referred to one a few yrs back. hope this helps.

Doesn't help my situation. I have a letter & envolpe signed by Senator JFK to my dad back in 1953. PISSA/DNA wants $150 for a COA :eek:.

The proof for me is the envolpe dated & the letter dated along with JFKS sig. Plus my last name is same as my dad's.
So I spend 150 for COA & say it sells for 300. That profit of 150 suks. I should be able to get the 300 no matter what.

Coa

What you have to remember is that whoever authenticates your item is only giving their opinion about the authenticity.

I had purchased a signed Barack Obama Presidential Acceptance Speech that was authenticated by Global. When I took it to a card show where PSA/DNA had a booth I paid $100 for them to look at it and their opinion was that it wasn't authentic. A few months later I took it to another card show where James Spence Authenticators had a booth and paid another $100 and they said it was authentic.

James Spence also examined for an additional $100 a first edition first printing of a signed Barack Obama book, The Audacity of Hope, and it was determined to be authentic.

I also have one Barack Obama signed Rawlings National League baseball that came with a PSA/DNA full letter of authenticity that I may also get an additional opinion on.

I'm sure everyone would like to have at least one of the well known authenticators examine their item to ascertain that it is indeed authentic. This will help at a later time should one decide to sell their item and it may bring a few additional dollars and make it easier to sell since there are forgeries out there.

coa's and authenticators

it's hard to determine things of this nature unless you have some kind of contact like GNX181. With letters, and documents it's alittle harder the older it is. with a president like JFK, i'm sure someone would be willing to pay for it but i see your point with paying to be authenticated and then really only breaking even on it and maybe a few bucks for the document itself. best bet is to just keep it and who knows i'm sure it'll be worth more later on in life. JFK has been dead what under 50 yrs ( can't remember when he was killed in Dallas but i know it was the early 60's ). Just keep it and i'm sure it'll show proof that your father was an important man if he had some type of correspondance with the president regardless if it was before he was president or when he was. good luck and if anything you have a few names from GNX181 so you can maybe find someone to check out what you have.

Haha, important man.:D The letters were to Senator Kennedy trying to get his hot Italian squeeze into the country. The letters worked. 56 years later she's a nutcase driving Little crazy. She's going to make him earn his inheritance.:eek:

must have missed that part

Haha, important man.:D The letters were to Senator Kennedy trying to get his hot Italian squeeze into the country. The letters worked. 56 years later she's a nutcase driving Little crazy. She's going to make him earn his inheritance.:eek:

after rereading it i see what your talking about, i only glanced at his info and saw jfk and wanted to respond. sorry bro sounds like you have something of little significance unless someone wants to write a book about all of his honey's off to the side. i swear the kennedy name comes with a badge of being a mutt.

You're confused! Steve's Dad met a his Mom in Italy (I think) and she was so hot he wanted to get her to come to America. Nothing to do with JFK other than to help get her over here. His reward was years of nagging and a heart attack.

ok i scanned through it

regardless it's not worth much, sorry for the confusion and long winded talk about verifying stuff with coa's.

Yeah I am earning 1 pennie at a time. :rolleyes:

regardless it's not worth much, sorry for the confusion and long winded talk about verifying stuff with coa's.

I have seen similar JFK senator letters on ebay. some are 5k, 1k & some are $300 bux .. none are selling.. That is why I am not paying PISSA $150 bux to verify it.

Quick opinion

You can also initially do a quick opinion offered by some of the authentication companies. You e-mail them a scan of what you'd like authenticated and they will give you an opinion as to whether or not the item if submitted would pass.

This is an example of the reply that you would receive:

Likely to be genuine: Our authenticators believe that the item, if physically submitted to P.A.A.S. for examination, would likely receive our certificate of authenticity.

Thank you for your trust in P.A.A.S.
Michael Frost

Here are some companies that do the quick opinion for about $10.

Professional Autograph Authentication Services

www.autographcertificationexperts.com - Home

PSA/DNA Sports Authentication Services

You can also initially do a quick opinion offered by some of the authentication companies. You e-mail them a scan of what you'd like authenticated and they will give you an opinion as to whether or not the item if submitted would pass.

This is an example of the reply that you would receive:

Likely to be genuine: Our authenticators believe that the item, if physically submitted to P.A.A.S. for examination, would likely receive our certificate of authenticity.

Thank you for your trust in P.A.A.S.
Michael Frost

Here are some companies that do the quick opinion for about $10.

Professional Autograph Authentication Services

www.autographcertificationexperts.com - Home

PSA/DNA Sports Authentication Services

Thanks I might try that