CO2 and boost controllers

rag231

For those that are using CO2 to control boost , how long does the cylinder last and where do you get refills? If you were controlling a shifter and a boost controller, how long will it last? What else can be controlled with one system or does it require multiple cylinders or just manifolds. Thanks for all the info.

I use nitrogen instead of CO2, it's more stable. And plus, in my area I can get my bottle refilled a whole lot easier than CO2. My 2.5lb bottle lasts more than a year. A nitrogen bottle has more pressure than CO2.

You need a manifold due to different pressures required by the boost controller and air shifter. The shifter requires around 110-125.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

You have a dual gauge setup? I have seen N2 refills for like $2 per 1000psi, sounds cheap. Do you have to run a 2 stage controller for your boost application or is that not needed when running XFI or another aftermarket computer? Just trying not to purchase stuff that I do not need.

I just pieced a setup together for a 5 lb bottle myself. For a street car

Quick questions, on a ams or innovative controller, if co2 is opened at the bottle and "on" at idle, the top of the gate is under pressure from the boost controller, the co2 pressure us bled off by the other solenoid yes? Definite need to make sure there's no leaks from addition screws in the top of the gate to ensure no co2 waste yes?

Yes. I'd suggest not turning the bottle on until your wanting to make a WOT blast.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks brotha - That's what I thought, I am actually going to plumb another 2port solenoid in front of the boost solenoids to switch between manifold and co2 pressure to preserve as much as possible. Definitely not trying to over complicate anything, but this is simple enough.

Thanks brotha - That's what I thought, I am actually going to plumb another 2port solenoid in front of the boost solenoids to switch between manifold and co2 pressure to preserve as much as possible. Definitely not trying to over complicate anything, but this is simple enough.
Good idea. Maybe I'll look into that as well.
AG

Anyone have any pics as to how this stuff is routed. For example the in and out on the manifolds and the routing of lines on the waste gates.

Maybe in a few days I will have some or you can search others forums.

I'm inclined to paint my 5 lb co2 bottle blue and put some nos stickers on it:).

So.. here's a picture. I've added a 2 port solenoid to switch between manifold pressure or Co2 pressure going to the top of the wastegate.

From left to right: Co2 input, manifold input - going into the 1st of the 2 boost controller solenoids and then the output to the top of the gate.
image.jpg

I tried this out at the track last night and it worked like a charm. Boy I should have went to a CO2 setup 7 years ago. Put a very light spring in the gate and didn't have any probably getting the boost I wanted.

I did find out that with an innovative controller, the initial boost solenoid opening to supply boost to the top of the gate does't open until positive pressure is met.

FYI - if you want the same solenoid to match the others you have, order Grainger 6JJ52.
Allan G.

Thanks Allan, I knew about the grainger solenoid, but at the time and wasn't thinking and bought the Mac one on ebay for slightly less I think... I didn't think too much about whether those innovative ones were 2 ports, but I remembered later they were.

This was a good suggestion. I had some time tonight to mount and wire mine in. I didn't have much room so I simply stacked it with the regular boost solenoid.
AG
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1388027514.830717.jpg

I use nitrogen instead of CO2, it's more stable. And plus, in my area I can get my bottle refilled a whole lot easier than CO2. My 2.5lb bottle lasts more than a year. A nitrogen bottle has more pressure than CO2.

You need a manifold due to different pressures required by the boost controller and air shifter. The shifter requires around 110-125.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
Does the bottle have to be mounted in the engine bay or can it be mounted in a remote location? Like the trunk? Can nitrogen be used with AMS 1000?

I have never seen the bottle in an engine bay, 99% of the time I have seen it behind the passenger seat standing straight up ( mounted on the cage ).