clunking sound when putting car in gear

crownvic96

when i put the car into D from park or neutral i get a quick metallic clunk sound. i was wondering if this is the transmission mount?

i've got a HR drivers side motor mount and a stock passenger.

I just changed my trans mount and it eliminated a cluncking noise that I heard once-in-a-while. I think you should make the change. I used a stock mount.

Mine sometimes makes a clank sound. I searched some threads here and one guy said he bought his GN new and it's been doing it since day one - no failures yet. I got under my car and verified that the u-joints weren't loose. I also checked for visible wear on the ring and pinion gears when I changed the rear-end fliud and they looked good. Now is almost 4 years and 40k miles later and all is good - still makes the noise.

clunk

Next time you're under the car- Shake the yoke right behind the trans up and down. The rear bushing in the trans(right in front of the seal) could be worn. That'll give you a clunk that sounds just like a u-joint. Did for me!! :cool:

the clunk sounds like its coming from the transmission area. i'll check the driveshaft. i'm going to get an aluminum one anyway so if the ujoints are bad i'll just do the driveshaft sooner :)

the clunk doesn't seem to happen all the time either.

It will be higher and tinnier in pitch with the aluminum shaft.

Don't ask me how I found out. :p

Probably normal driveline lash both my cars do it.

You probably won't like the way the aluminum sounds. ;)

Had the same problem years ago and it turned out to be the tranny mount. Eventually I happened to break a tooth off of the ring and ended up replacing the rear.