clearing a code on a '03 Grand Am

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
the change oil light in my mom's car came on, so i changed the oil, unplugged the battery for about five minutes, then i reconnected it, lights still on...

anyone know how to clear it?

i put electrical tape over it for the time being. heh

look on the driver side of the dash where the door and the dash meet. I know on the lil older Grand Ams theres the fuses there, There might be a red button, if so its something like turn the key to the on position, push the button three times and hold it for 10 secs and it should clear. If that doesn't work, Try stompin on the roof and barking like a dog, never know these days... :p

The procedure to reset the lamp is in the owners manual.

BTW did you actually change the oil? It came on to remind you to do so. :D

Tony

GM resets are typically a "Oil Change Reset" button in or near the fusebox, or turn the key on, pump the gas to WOT 3 or 5 times (some are 3, some are 5), the oil change light will flash at you a couple times, then turn the key off, then start the car.

Originally posted by Tony sy2356
The procedure to reset the lamp is in the owners manual.

BTW did you actually change the oil? It came on to remind you to do so. :D

Tony

no, for some reason they neglected to put the how to reset the light in the manual

and yes, i certainly did

Originally posted by V8'sHAHA
look on the driver side of the dash where the door and the dash meet. I know on the lil older Grand Ams theres the fuses there, There might be a red button, if so its something like turn the key to the on position, push the button three times and hold it for 10 secs and it should clear. If that doesn't work, Try stompin on the roof and barking like a dog, never know these days... :p

This is correct, except: When you find the little red button inside the fuse panel, press it once. Then keep pressing it until the "Change Oil Now" light flashes. Then press and hold the button in until the "Change Oil Now" light goes out. Assuming they haven't changed this since 1999...

I hope you dont wait until the light goes on to change the oil....mine takes like 13,000 miles to go on. I do 4,000 on Mobil 1 and just reset the stupid light when it decides to finally come on...

humm, tryed all this stuff, so far nothing works :confused:

the reset button is in the fuse box though.... pushing it does nothing