Clearance with head studs

Joe 1320

Torqueus Maximus
I want to use studs for the heads on my new motor, but was wondering about engine bay clearance when removing heads after the motor is in the car. If I blow a gasket, do the heads clear the heater box, etc..... or would upgraded bolts be best in that instance? I would prefer studs as I'm heading into the 10s....:D

You CANNOT remove the pass head with studs if the air cond box is installed. For the 8 bolt heads, use bolts which hold just as well.

I've done it

I have removed my GN1's with the AC box still on the car and studs installed. But you have to be lucky and able to get the back longer stud and the two long studs in the center of the head out in order for it to work. This is a SEVERE PITA!!!! And now that I own a eng. hoist I wouldn't even think about it without at least pulling the engine out far enough to get access. But, hey, I have no more AC/Heater box and life near the #6 cylinder is fantastic now. Now I dread working on the drivers side ;).

Derrick

FWIW and I can't speak for all but my latest purchase of main studs actually had a female hex in the end so you can use a hex key to remove them. They should have thought of this long ago so people wouldn't have to improvise with cutting the end for a screwdriver:eek:

The immediate goal is to use worked over stock heads. I'm trying to make it as stock appearing as possible. Right down to a hollowed out battery up front with the real one in the trunk. I'll be running air ( yeah, I'm a wimp in Florida heat:rolleyes: ) so it looks like bolts will be needed. I have all the shop stuff like a hoist, but it sounds like I would have to basically pull the motor just to yank a head if I use studs. CRAP. :(

Thanks, Guys.

the last set of ARP head studs I got have the hex type end that will allow easy removal like a bolt.

Originally posted by GTEATER
the last set of ARP head studs I got have the hex type end that will allow easy removal like a bolt.

That sounds like a solution has already been thought of by the manufacturer. Onward we go to the 10s....:D