Cleaning the one remaining Maf Screen!!!

jojo

Ill Take A Moosehead Now!
Im sure a lot of you guys running the stock Maf have done this already.

I just removed one of my Maf Screens, or that Honey Comb looking thing on the inlet side of the Maf. My question is guaranteed, this thing is as dirty as they get. What can i clean it with to possibly let the air flow better through there? do i need to take the remaining one out to do this? or can it be cleaned just sitting in the Maf. Either way what are my options for cleaning solutions?

thanks

jojo

Come on guys, someone has to know or has done this already. Im thinking i will have some better flow if i clean this thing and just run the one cone in there opposed to the two:rolleyes:

thanks

jojo

If it is just a light black soot, I would leave it alone. But if it's a thick crud,(which it shouldn't be) i would pull it out and squirt it with carb cleaner and let air dry. My screens didn't want stay in once removed, so I used a little dab of JB Weld on the plastic retaining ring to keep them in place.

Originally posted by TurboRegal84
They should not be dirty if you have a high quality Air Filter.

Leave them Alone.

Thanks Herb, but when i removed the one yesterday, i rubbed my finger over the remaining one and seen a film of something coming off this and then looked at my finger and said :eek: . When i bought the car it had the K&N in it and then i replaced that with the cold air kit and another K&N. Any ideas? am i blocking air because of dirt or what.

thanks

jojo

Thanks for the iput guys, but this one seems to be pretty dirty. I will try taking the last screen out and spraying it. The first one popped out ok, it was just held in by a round plastic seal nothing broke when i took it out.

thanks

jojo

If you do decide to take out the screens make sure they are in there TIGHT upon replacing!

I had a good friend of mine loose a brand new Turbo to a MAF screen coming loose during a WOT 23psi blast, and needless to say the Turbo was scrap metal after coming in cotact with one of those screens at 80,000RPM....He made the mistake of installing one before the element, and one after.

Both Screens go before the MAF element.

If you're not going to take the screen out to clean it try some of that spray cleaner for electrical stuff...Radio Shack carries it...that way if you get some on the electronics it won't damage it...

Thanks again guys for the input, maybe i will try some of that electrical cleaner stuff. I still have some i bought from auto zone.

thanks

jojo