Cleaning out Engine Oil Cooler on CAS Radiator

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I'm wanting to run transmission fluid through the internal cooler in my CAS aluminum radiator. I have previously run engine oil through it but stopped when I had some issues with engine going south. I have sprayed some brake cleaner in the cooler and I am getting small metal (aluminum or ??) flakes out the other side. Question....how can I clean the cooler out so I can be confident that no metal will make its way into my tranny? Iwould like to power flush it but know that water is a big NO with transmissions.
Conrad

If there is metal chunks in there from a failed motor I wouldn't reuse it. You can take it to a radiator shop that can swap out the res for you. I did it once for 75 dollars I think on an aluminum radiator

they make an aerosol can thats made to clean out coolers. Not sure what its called but the sell it for trans and oil coolers and for ac condensors. It comes with a hose that connects to the cooler and flushes the lines.

I know we're talking about an aluminum radiator, but keeping my original radiator I had it done by a radiator shop in which he unsolder and remove the top section. He then boil, brush, the radiator, tranny cooler section, engine oil cooler section, and of course the radiator itself, and then re-solder top section and painted it black.
I agreed with dsapper, Regardless what type of radiator you have, you might need to have it done by a radiator shop to have clean since they have the right equipment to clean it.

I'd only have it professionally done and explain to them up front that there are metal flakes in there. Just not worth risking the motor.

The turbulators in the tubes can/will retain enough crud to take your trans out......I'd not reuse it.

Either don't re-use it, or replace the internal cooler, or, add a filter to the outlet and leave it there forever. (changing it at regular intervals. Unless you live in a hot climate eliminate the oil cooler. Not needed unless road racing or long drives in 95*+ weather.