cleaning oil stain from driveway

stickybones

What?
Well now that I have both the GN and my Jeep NOT leaking oil anymore (hopefully for good), I want to clean up the oil spots in my driveway. I tried some automotive degreaser cleaner but it didn't really do anything to remove the spot. Anyone know of a product that works on removing oil stains from asphalt? Even a home do-it-yourself McGyver concoction of baking soda, vinegar, chicken blood whatever?

Thanks
Mike

oil stains

When you get done cleaning the oil spots on your cement with cleaners, solvents pressure washers and such, you can top it off with plain old powdered cement. That cement will cover a multitude of stains. I've even covered the oil stains right over with the cement, it absorbs the oil and makes it easier to clean later on. Try it, you'll be surprised :)

Originally posted by stickybones
I imagine you don't get this stuff at ShopRite, so where can I get it?

Home Depot, Lowes, etc..

The concrete dust idea sounds like a winner!

Originally posted by SuperSix
I've used Muriatic Acid in the past...

Careful - it's very nasty stuff!

I second that!!! I deal with Muriatic Acid at work all the time. I would suggest that you first try cutting the acid with water to see how well it works. You can always add more acid to strengthen the mixture. DEFINITELY avoid inhaling as much of the fumes as possible!! Also, I sure hope your driveway doesn't have any color like pebblecoat or anything, otherwise you can kiss it goodbye! Good luck.

A little gas & Match = KABOOM! Just/Kidding

I had a boss at a gas staion I worked for as a teen make me use Gas to clean the cement floor bays :mad: Was I stupid for doing it.

Try the oil dri kitty litter stuff with an old pair of sneakers drag the soles over the stain with the oil dri.. Should work it into the oil & lift up.. You may need to do this a few times.. At least it won't hurt the environement

Thanks guys.

The driveway is asphalt, not cement. The oil stains are old and dried up now. Not fresh for the kitty litter treatment.

What I really have, after trying already to clean them up, is a dry discoloration stain from the oil. That's what I'm trying to get rid of.

Mike

The cheap clay cat litter works great even on old stains - at least on concrete. Pour some on, grind it in with your shoe and sweep away the stain. It's always worked for me and costs less than $3.00.

I've sprayed Simple Green on and brushed it with a broom, then rinsed it off, sometimes a few times. They also sell asphalt cleaner at Home Depot to use before sealing the driveway. Some of the stain appearance may never go away since the oil has allowed the asphalt to compress more in the stain area than the rest of the driveway.

Pour WD40 on it. The liquid not the spray. Put something over it to keep it wet. Should hose off with water in a couple days. :D

It works

:cool:

You may try using rice hull ash and a broom. Ground the rice hull ash into the asphalt with the broom and let it sit for an hour or so and then sweep it up. I have also used ZEP shop floor cleaner with good success (powder form only). Kind of expensive though. Rice hull ash is cheap.

I have a cement driveway but....... try using really any degreser (dawn wd-40 ect.) and buy a hard wire brush, kinda like a broom but with really stiff steel bristles get the oil spot wet apply the degreser let it sit for a while and then scrub it off with the brush.
GOOD LUCK;)