cleaning oil and grease from concrete floor...

NCC1701

Hello everyone,
I need advise on how to clean my garage floor of oil and a little bit of grease?
I just spent the last few weekends trying to stop the GN from leaking oil. I think I got almost all of the major ones taken care. My problem is now my garage floor is looking pretty bad.:eek: I'd like to clean it up and TRY to keep it that way.
Give me your tips, tricks, products, suggestions, etc.....:biggrin:
TIA
Lorenzo

No. 1 on what 87 National said.

But if you have neither, try cat litter on the oil/grease stains. Pour some on about 1/2" deep over it, let it sit for about five minutes, then with an old hard sole shoe on your foot, grind down the litter over the oil. It'll turn to powder, then sweep up and throw away. Cheap way to do it, but there will be a small trace of litter where you dumped it....don't let that worry you.

Been doing this for years. Until I get a pressure washer.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

on tough stains, pour lacquer thinner on the stain, brush it in a little with the broom and soak it up with oil dry.

I had some pretty bad stains from when my power steering started leaking bad on my driveway and I spilled some oil when changing it. I went and got some a bottle of degreaser called "purple power" and it worked great I just sprayed it on let it soak in a while and sprayed it off. Took a couple of coats to come up but it's gone now.

I went and got some a bottle of degreaser called "purple power" and it worked great
X2 on the purple power! I did a motor job inside my job before & I had oil everywhere. I poured the purple powder on and used a push broom to work it in & loosen the oil up. It all came up!! Good stuff
on tough stains, pour lacquer thinner on the stain, brush it in a little with the broom and soak it up with oil dry.

My buddy wasted some oil on my driveway earlier today & this is the method he said use. I'm going to try it in the morning to see if it works, If not ill just get another bottle of purple power from AZ

In my

Lube shops we use dawn for grease & acid base toilet bowl cleaner for concrete stains ,simple stuff works the best ..

OK, so no one is going to man-up and say they have used gasoline to get oil and tranny fluids stains out of concrete:confused:?

Thanks,

Nick,
Are you kidding me, Have you seen the cost of even crappy 91 octane out here in southrn Cali.:eek:
Gonna try these ideas.
Thanks,
Lorenzo

Nick,
Are you kidding me, Have you seen the cost of even crappy 91 octane out here ........Lorenzo

I am painfully aware of the cost of gasoline, especially race gas. :eek:

But a couple times a year I drain a little fuel from my fuel cell to check for water, and it does not get put back in the car.

Also, working on many "garage queens" they many times have old gas that is not fit for use.

I've always used stuff called Drizit, I always get it at Lowe's. Comes in a big brown paper bag.

It's a powdery substance, looks like a lot like flour. Sprinkle some on the ground, let it set, then sweep it up. Gets all my fluids up off the ground in a hurry. It will leave behind a little dust, unless you use the vacuum to pick it up; but I always look at it as a barrier for next time! :smile: