clean up under the hood

pracingrev1140

i have a friend who brought a gn hwo later found out that the car had a fire under the hood we belive it was a result a leaking valve cover gasket on the pass side we could were the vaccum line shad been repaired on that side no damage to the driver side under that we can see my ques is how do clean up all of the fire exting stuff left behide i know we shoudnt get the sensor s wet but what can be used saftly to begin clean up thanks RR

Originally posted by pracingrev1140
any body want too take a stab at this

When I clean my engine compartment I simply spray on Simple Green....wait 10 minutes and hose it off. I let it dry well before I start it.

How about for cleaning 15 years and 92k miles of gook that you couldn't get at while the engine was in it?

I just took my engine out (don't ask) and am looking at this big, greasy where the 3.8 once was. I'd like to get it really clean but I'm not sure how. I've been using a degreaser from the autoparts store and a parts brush. Slow going. What else can I use?

TIA,
Jim

Originally posted by pracingrev1140
i have a friend who brought a gn hwo later found out that the car had a fire under the hood we belive it was a result a leaking valve cover gasket on the pass side we could were the vaccum line shad been repaired on that side no damage to the driver side under that we can see my ques is how do clean up all of the fire exting stuff left behide i know we shoudnt get the sensor s wet but what can be used saftly to begin clean up thanks RR

got periods?

When I clean the engine bay on the ttype, (once a month or so because of this damn dusty town I live in), I just take it up to the car wash. I leave the car running, pop the hood, and hit it with Castrol Engine Cleaner, and the engine cleaner at the car wash, works fine.........just keep the water spray away from the alternator and coilpack. Ive always had good luck.

Hey all,

The mineral spirits work awesome. Now I have bare metal frame, engine cradle, etc. Was this stuff ever painted? Was it bare metal from the factory?

Thanks,
Jim