Class rules for BG Hybrid Street Class.

For those going to run the Hybrid "Street" class (10.00) please review the revised rules and give me your input -

Hybrid Street Class – HSC
General
• Heads-up 4-tenths pro tree start and pro ladder. (1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, etc....)
• No peer technical inspections relating to safety equipment rules by class participants or peers, Beech Bend Raceway track safety technician personnel will make all rulings on track safety related items.
• Winner and runner-up are subject to re-tech immediately after final round or at any other time.
• Any entrant caught trying to deliberately break the rules will be disqualified from the HSC class.
Definition of "Factory Stock Appearing"
This class is for “Hybrid Street Cars” that are tagged and registered to be driven legally on the street. This means that all lights will work, the car will have a full exhaust, a current tag and registration, D.O.T legal drag radial tire that is not to exceed 325/50/15 in height or width. The use of electronic two steps (or any electronic launching devices) is prohibited.
Body
• Any mass production model from any manufacture is allowed.
• Any Regal entering this class cannot have been originally equipped with a turbo Buick motor.
Chassis
• Seat belts, lights, horn, and windshield wipers must be operational.
• All factory headlights must be in place during competition.
• Helmet required. Cars must pass track safety inspection.
• Car should possess all applicable safety equipment for potential ET/speeds attained.
• Stock operating glass windows and windshield required.
• No tube chassis cars allowed.
• No wheelie bars or parachutes.
• Brake system line locks allowed.
• Drive shaft safety loop required.
• Driver's name and club decal on side/quarter windows allowed. Sponsor/vendor decal is acceptable on the rear window.
• A maximum of 2 hood mounted gauges are allowed.

Engine
• Buick V6 block 240-c.i. for 3.8 blocks and 260-c.i. for 4.1 blocks. (Those suspected of cheating may be P&G’ed to check displacement. Those caught cheating will be banned.)
• Block casting numbers 25526109, 25520329, 25506484 and 25506818 only. (If 4.1 block is used the vehicle must weigh a minimum of 3400-lbs.)
• Must use DIS type I or II ignition, NO distributor.
• 8-bolt Iron or aluminum cylinder head castings required.
• Any valve covers and oil pan allowed.
• No dry sump-oiling system.
• Factory stock intake manifold required. No external welding allowed except for EGR block-off plate and/or repairs. * No modifications such as welding, cold weld epoxy, puttying, etc. may be done on any portion of the intake manifold runners to increase manifold air flow are allowed.
• Factory stock appearing or aftermarket cast aluminum intake plenum allowed.
• Factory stock appearing type throttle body required. (Aftermarket replacement stock style TB allowed up to 70-mm.)
• Any crossover pipe allowed.
• Any single or dual exhaust system allowed.
• Down-pipe size in limited to 3.5-inches maximum.
• Exhaust is limited to 3.5 inches single and 3.0 inches dual. No homemade “mufflers”.
• Cut outs are allowed so long as they are placed under the flat area of the bottom of the car and do not exceed 3.5 inches in diameter.
Turbo
• Any 3 bolt turbo but must be limited to 70-mm or smaller.
• No welding is allowed on any exterior surface of the turbo compressor housing to allow for a larger compressor wheel.
• No CO² or electronic waste-gate or actuator controls allowed.
• Turbo heat shield/cover optional.
Intercooler
• Air-to-Air intercooler required.
• No liquid intercoolers, intercooler external spray cooling, or add-on cold boxes allowed.
Engine Management & Fuel System
• Stock ECM or aftermarket DFI system allowed.
• Factory Stock Appearing (Type I) or (Type II) DIS cam position sensor required.
• No individual coil per spark plug ignitions allowed.
• No distributor ignitions allowed.
• No delay boxes, throttle stops, or crossover boxes allowed.
• Any intake air induction system allowed.
• Any MAF sensor is acceptable as well as translators.
• Any internal or external fuel pump(s) are allowed.
• Voltage increasing and fuel pump hot wiring devices are allowed.
• Any type fuel pressure regulator allowed.
• Any fuel injectors allowed - 6 maximum.
• Gasoline (Race and pump fuel.) as well as alcohol injection allowed.
Engine Compartment
• Stock water pump operational w/belt in stock location.
• Any engine compartment dress up allowed.
• Battery, one (1) only and it may be in any location.
• Any type electric engine cooling fan required.
• Any radiator allowed.
Transmission
• A GM transmission required. (No Jeffco, Lenco or Liberty type transmissions allowed. No shift assistance such as air, gas or electronic solenoid operated shifters allowed.)
• Any size torque converter acceptable, with or without lock-up.
• Any transmission oil cooler and pan allowed.
Tires & Wheels
• Tires must be a D.O.T approved drag radial and be stamped as such. No Slicks or ET Streets allowed. (M/T ET Street Radial is allowed.) Tire must have a minimum tread depth of 1/32 of an inch and are subject to re-check at any time.
• Tire footprint when installed on a rim and mounted on the car can not exceed height or width of a 325/50-15 drag radial at 10 psig checking pressure.
• Tires may not be shaved at the tread edge to meet the above mentioned dimensions maximum tread width rule.
Interior
• Full factory style interior required. (Seats from other models or aftermarket seats are OK).
• Transmission shifter required. This means no air, electronic type solenoids or “helper” devices are allowed.
• Any additional aftermarket gauges allowed.

Thank you.

Jim C.

I can handle that, if my little 109 block can keep up with the stage motors.

TI, tell me what it is about your car that doesn't fit. What I am trying to do is get input so that we can massage the rules to make them more friendly as we all know that hybrids are not "cookie cutter". We have already made a few adjustments. I don't want it getting out of hand but if it helps attract more people to the class then let's get it done. We only have till Feb. to get this finallized.

Jim C.

Jim
I don't think I will be able to get my car legal this year as in wipers, registered for the street, & all lights working. I am under the gun getting my car back from the body shop & putting the car back together. but the items that would hold me back as for the rules would be...

distributor
Champion intake
Champion plenum & throttle body
GTQ76 turbo (I could borrow a 70mm if that was the only issue)

I understand if you can not make the rules to fit my needs, but in my defense the distributer is becoming the norm, they are cheaper, they are available to all, heck cars have gone faster with a coil pack & module. and as for the Champion parts they "are" readily available to all.

if the dist. & Champion parts are allowed I will make every effert to get my car up to snuff to run the street class.

if I was to get placed in the "Outlaw" class that wouldn't be real bad, as long as I was able to tree my opponent I may be OK for a few rounds.:wink: (as long as it is bracket)

Steve

Jim
I don't think I will be able to get my car legal this year as in wipers, registered for the street, & all lights working. I am under the gun getting my car back from the body shop & putting the car back together. but the items that would hold me back as for the rules would be...

distributor
Champion intake
Champion plenum & throttle body
GTQ76 turbo (I could borrow a 70mm if that was the only issue)

I understand if you can not make the rules to fit my needs, but in my defense the distributer is becoming the norm, they are cheaper, they are available to all, heck cars have gone faster with a coil pack & module. and as for the Champion parts they "are" readily available to all.

if the dist. & Champion parts are allowed I will make every effert to get my car up to snuff to run the street class.

if I was to get placed in the "Outlaw" class that wouldn't be real bad, as long as I was able to tree my opponent I may be OK for a few rounds.:wink: (as long as it is bracket)

Steve

Steve, nothing is set in stone as of yet and the reason being is because with the hybrids there is no way to make a cookie cutter class. As such I would like to speak with you so that we can see if there is a compromise to be found here. You make some good points in your post and they are constructive. This is the type of feedback we need to get this thing headed in the right direction. It is my belief that the rules should continue to morph while keeping the original intent of the class until we have a set that allows the majority to participate. Give me a call when you get the chance and let's see what we can do. Thanks.

Jim C.

334-206-3480 Office (Best Chance)
334-538-5868 Cell
334-850-0258 Cell

what does everyone think of a weight limit of about 3200-3400#'s I think this may make the class closer. instead of a 2500# car running against a 3500# car. why should the each car run the same turbo but the weight not be a factor. just remember guys a 100#'s is about 1/10th in the 1/4.

Too many rules

After reading all the rules, I was begining to think i am wasting my time trying to finish my project intime to compete. With these kinds of rules, I wouldnt be able to race anyway! I have a stage II engine with aluminum heads and a XFI FAST system( just to name a few things that I cant change) that would knock me out of the races. I hope you guys get this settled because I, like many others, would really like to run my car at BG!

Alan

You gota go ZNX

That sucks!

I was hoping to see your car there!!!!! and make a frendly wager of a beer for a heads up run.... I noticed that your going stage 2 now. :eek:
Oh well ... So I owe you a beer.. :D

Hope there is a place for all of us "Dyno Mutt's" in the show..

~Scott

This is what we have thus far with all of the recent input for the Hybrid Street Class.

Jim C.

Hybrid Street Class – HSC

General

• Heads-up 4-tenths pro tree start and pro ladder. (1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, etc....)

• 9.90 Index

• No peer technical inspections relating to safety equipment rules by class participants or peers, Beech Bend Raceway track safety technician personnel will make all rulings on track safety related items.

• Winner and runner-up are subject to re-tech immediately after final round or at any other time.

• Any entrant caught trying to deliberately break the rules will be disqualified from the HSC class.

Definition of class.

This class is for “Hybrid Street Cars”. This means that all cars will have a full exhaust, D.O.T legal drag radial tire that is not to exceed 325/50/15 in height or width.

Body

• Any Regal entering this class cannot have been originally equipped with a turbo Buick motor.

Chassis

• All factory headlights must be in place during competition.

• Car should possess all applicable safety equipment for potential ET/speeds attained.

• Stock operating glass windows and windshield required. (Vehicles such as convertibles that came with composite rear windows are allowed.)

• No tube chassis cars allowed.

• No wheelie bars or parachutes.

• Brake system line locks allowed.

• Driver's name and club decal on side/quarter windows allowed. Sponsor/vendor decal is acceptable on the rear window.

• A maximum of 2 hood mounted gauges are allowed.

Engine

• Buick V6 block 3.8 blocks or 4.1 blocks. (Stage I blocks are allowed. Those caught cheating will be banned.)

• Block casting numbers 25526109, 25520329, 25506484, 25506818, 25500012 and 25500016 only.

• Must use DIS type I or II ignition, distributors are allowed.

• Aluminum or iron cylinder head castings allowed.

• Vacuum pump allowed.

• Any valve covers and oil pan allowed.

• No dry sump-oiling system.

• Factory stock style intake manifold required. No external welding allowed except for EGR block-off plate and/or repairs. * No modifications such as welding, cold weld epoxy, puttying, etc. may be done on any portion of the intake manifold runners to increase manifold air flow are allowed. (Champion intakes are allowed.)

• Factory stock appearing or aftermarket cast aluminum intake plenum allowed.

• Factory stock appearing type throttle body required. (Aftermarket replacement stock style TB allowed up to 70-mm.)

• Any crossover pipe allowed.

• Any single or dual exhaust system allowed.

• Down-pipe size in limited to 3.5-inches maximum.

• Exhaust is limited to 3.5 inches single and 3.0 inches dual. No homemade “mufflers”.

• Cut outs are allowed so long as they are placed under the flat area of the bottom of the car and do not exceed 3.5 inches in diameter.

Turbo

• Any 3 bolt turbo but must be limited to 70-mm or smaller.

• No welding is allowed on any exterior surface of the turbo compressor housing to allow for a larger compressor wheel.

• No CO² or electronic waste-gate or actuator controls allowed.

• Turbo heat shield/cover optional.

Intercooler

• Air-to-Air intercooler required.

• No liquid intercoolers, intercooler external spray cooling, or add-on cold boxes allowed.

• Factory Stock Appearing (Type I) or (Type II) DIS cam position sensor required.

• No individual coil per spark plug ignitions allowed.

• No distributor ignitions allowed.

• No delay boxes, throttle stops, or crossover boxes allowed.

• Any intake air induction system allowed.

• Any MAF sensor is acceptable as well as translators.

• Any internal or external fuel pump(s) are allowed.

• Voltage increasing and fuel pump hot wiring devices are allowed.

• Any type fuel pressure regulator allowed.

• Any fuel injectors allowed - 6 maximum.

Engine Compartment

• Stock water pump operational w/belt in stock location.

• Any radiator allowed.

Transmission

• A GM transmission required. (No Jeffco, Lenco or Liberty type transmissions allowed. No shift assistance such as air, gas or electronic solenoid operated shifters allowed.)

• Any size torque converter acceptable, with or without lock-up.

Tires & Wheels

• Tires must be a D.O.T approved drag radial and be stamped as such. No Slicks or ET Streets allowed. (M/T ET Street Radial is allowed.) Tire must have a minimum tread depth of 1/32 of an inch and are subject to re-check at any time.

• Tire footprint when installed on a rim and mounted on the car can not exceed height or width of a 325/50-15 drag radial at 10 psig checking pressure.

• Tires may not be shaved at the tread edge to meet the above mentioned dimensions maximum tread width rule.

Interior

• Full factory style interior required. (Seats from other models or aftermarket seats are OK).

• Transmission shifter required. This means no air, electronic type solenoids or “helper” devices are allowed.

• Any additional aftermarket gauges allowed.

These are the rules thus far for the "Open Comp." portion of the Hybrid class.

Jim C.

Hybrid Open Comp.

General

• Bracket class 4-tenths pro tree start and pro ladder. (1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, etc....)

Definition of Class

This class is for “Hybrid Cars”.

Body

Chassis

• Driver's name and club decal on side/quarter windows allowed. (Sponsor/vendor decal is acceptable on the rear window.)

Engine

• Any Buick or aftermarket Buick style V6 block and heads.

Turbo

• Any 3 or 4 bolt turbo.

• Twin setups are allowed.

Intercooler

• Air-to-Air intercooler required or Air-to-liquid allowed.

• Any fuel injectors allowed, 6 maximum.

Engine Compartment

• Any radiator allowed.

Transmission

• Any transmission allowed. ( Jeffco, Lenco or Liberty type transmissions are allowed. )

• Shift assistance such as air, gas or electronic solenoid operated shifters allowed.

• Any size torque converter or clutch acceptable, with or without lock-up.

• Trans-brakes, two-step and other launching devices are allowed.

Tires & Wheels

• Any size slick or D.O.T tire is allowed but must be in good shape and capable of withstanding speeds achieved.

• Tires may be screwed to the rim.

Power Adder

• N2O allowed.

Well, I'm hanging on by a thread here, so far the GTQ.74 Turbo & 4" mufflex exhaust is going to keep me out of the "street" class. I think I can borrow Jason's .70 GTQ Turbo but there is no chance in changing the exhaust. OK so.. lets hear some feedback. :confused:

Well, I'm hanging on by a thread here, so far the GTQ.74 Turbo & 4" mufflex exhaust is going to keep me out of the "street" class. I think I can borrow Jason's .70 GTQ Turbo but there is no chance in changing the exhaust. OK so.. lets hear some feedback. :confused:

Tell me what we need to do slim. I am not sure exactly what your exhaust layout is but am willing to help if you can give me a layout of what we need to do. We could say something to the effect of - "The exhaust must be muffled under the car." and leave it at that. Does this sound like a possible solution? If not, please help me out. Thank you.

Jim C.

That sounds great because its a over-the-counter Flowmaster exhaust system that had my 3 1/2" DP custom made to fit. That rule would work awesome!

Alan

Looks like I'll be in the Open class with a 5" downpipe and duel 3" exhaust and a 76GTQ.

It'll be fun.... but only if the Opel looses traction and give's me a half track spot:D

~Scott

Plus once mine's running it's not like I can go test and tune in the snow.:rolleyes:

Looks like I'll be in the Open class with a 5" downpipe and duel 3" exhaust and a 76GTQ.

It'll be fun.... but only if the Opel looses traction and give's me a half track spot:D

~Scott

Plus once mine's running it's not like I can go test and tune in the snow.:rolleyes:

Scott, I am hoping that the bracket format and .400 pro-tree will help even up some of those type of issues within the Open Comp class.

Jim C.