CK Performance - Important!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

As you know, I have been a member of this site for almost 10 years. I always remain neutral in vendor-customer debates and even when I have trouble with a vendor I never post it publicly. I feel it's better to deal with this things in person rather than 'virtually'. In this case however, my attempts to remedy a situation with a vendor face-to-face have failed. In that vein, please consider the following before you do business with CK Transmission. If you don't want to read the whole thing, just read the words in bold. They tell the whole story.

In April of 2008, I left my GN with him to repair my transmission (the 4th one of his that did not work properly). I drove my car 100 miles to his shop - it was in perfect mechanical condition except for the slipping transmission (again, #4 from CK). Two weeks later I got a call from CK indicating that 'there's something wrong with it'. I drove out there to see what was going on. As soon as I saw the car I knew something was wrong. Back tires were melted, front rims were coated in brake dust. The car was perfectly clean when I left it. Fuel tank was empty, and the alcohol tank was dry (fuel tank was 1/2 and alcohol was full when I dropped it off). The car could barely move under its own power and had the 'death screech' coming from the main bearings. I had it towed 100 miles home.

When the car was returned to me, the engine had 2 blown head gaskets, 2 broken pistons, 2 bent connecting rods and the main bearings were wiped out. The interior had coffee spilled all over the inside (still finding coffee today) and pieces of the car were missing from a sloppy transmission installation job. The entire contents of my console was scattered around the back seat and my LH sun visor was hanging down, missing 2 screws (WTF?). The transmission, #5, doesn't work any better than the one he took out.

All the evidence screams that the car was raced, while it was in his custody, until it blew up. The boost was turned up to 30 PSI and they had run it out of alcohol. I can go an entire season without having to wipe brake dust off my wheels - unless I make a trip to the track. There was brake dust all over the front wheels. My MT ET Streets were brand new, but were now burned down to the wear bars. Molten rubber covered the exhaust system, 1/4s and rear bumper.

When confronted all of this, Chris blamed an apprentice he had working for him and fired him. Chris offered me a new set of tires and thought that made us even. It did not.

Chris has been dodging my attempts to serve him with a lawsuit seeking compensation for the damage to the car while left in his care. He ignored the summons that he received in the mail (one that he admitted getting). He would not provide his location to a process server that I hired. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not asking for a lot of money but I will spare no expense in getting him served. He will be served eventually, and dodging my servers is only going to cost him more. The lawsuit is public record, you can get it from Morris County, NJ or ask me for a copy.

Chris has his own perspective on the events, which I'm sure he will tell. Obviously we disagree on the facts, hence the litigation. Irrespective of what he or anyone else says here, I'm not looking to try the case on the Internet, nor in this forum. This is just something for you to think about before you do business with him.

Jim

Wow, good luck getting everything worked out.

Also, I'm sure you know but keep all recipets for parts, time, etc.

Thats the 2nd time I have heard negative things said about him. Dont know either of you but I feel its OK to ask why did you keep going back to him? Wasn't 4 bad ones enuf? Didnt that tell you something? Little Clue about his workmanship? Good Luck with it!

As a former shop owner I understand this situation. I know what it's like when a bad employee screws something up and you are stuck with the clean up. But...you must make it right because it is your business and reputation. I always did.

Thats the 2nd time I have heard negative things said about him. Dont know either of you but I feel its OK to ask why did you keep going back to him? Wasn't 4 bad ones enuf? Didnt that tell you something? Little Clue about his workmanship? Good Luck with it!

It does seem foolish in hindsight, but I had made the investment and he said he'd make good on it.

Jim

Under your recommendation I turned up the boost as the trans didnt slip at low speeds.I went on a road test and the head gasket popped.You told me how to do it and I did it.I never sold you a rebuilt trans ,I only repaired a dynotech rebuild.This was 3 years ago.I still offered to help you out twice.Do what you have to do .As for me unscrewing your sunvisors I think you need your head examined.We had no agreements in writing and i was doing the repair in good faith.I also did your brothers transmission 3 years ago and you were happy with that.So go ahead and have a feast of my flesh on the internet.Anyone wishing to bash me youve done it before,so heres your chance to do it again.A man would handle his business elsewhere ,and not over the internet.

from what turbojimmy says up there 2 blown head gaskets, 2 broken pistons, 2 bent connecting rods and the main bearings wiped out thats some serious damage. i really wouldent care were it got handeled as long as it did

from what turbojimmy says up there 2 blown head gaskets, 2 broken pistons, 2 bent connecting rods and the main bearings wiped out thats some serious damage. i really wouldent care were it got handeled as long as it did

A head gasket can happen I agree 100% It happens! BUT the rest of the damage is pretty extreme IMO. I dont believe Chris is a bad guy but as the Shop Owner he Must make this right somehow. I would expect it!

I hope you guys can find a common ground. Without getting into who is right or wrong, it looks like $3500 worth of damages if the tranny is still ok. $4000 plus if the tranny is toast. For something that drove that distance with a tranny issue only came back a lot worse off. Good luck gents.

:rolleyes: Unfortunately I have been a victim of his garbage work as well. Interesting to see his same excuses given as were to me.
Buyer beware