Civic goes down HARD!

if you look hard you can find em... mostly alot of miles though
i picked up a neon for 500$ or so after titling it and everything... gets me 33 mpg... sure it is embarassing but that is why i bought one with really dark window tints!...

unfortunatly when i bought it, it had a fart can on there and sounds like a$$ but oh well... will do for the time being...

i noticed the more i drive the neon... the nicer and faster the cars get that i pull up to... i mean that i can drive the GN and not be next to anything with performance but in the neon... i pull to stop lights with 04 cobras and camaros all the time... really sucks :(

Originally posted by jswmotor
Hey ,

When did this civc, neon, crx, etc begin? I am 34 young and grew up on GN's Camaro's, Mustangs,Trans Am's, Novas etc. Still have TTA,GN and SS Camaro(blown). Guys and some girls raced for big money. Blown drag cars and $5,000 plus on the line. I dont understand it If they (kids today) race imports and want to be the fastest car then why dont they get a good starting point? Sure some imports are great, NSX is out of $$$ reach with most young kids, 300ZX TT and RX-7 TT are good buys now but they seem to have faded also. Supra TT still is way up on the overall value. Did the Eclipse/Talon all wheel drive turbo start this all by its self with hondas and noen following later on?? I sell cars part time as a second business. I can buy any CRX with wheels and a Camaro Z-28. The CRX will sell 3 times as fast. Strange how things change.

I'll put it this way, I'd never bother with a Honda like some of these people do. If I were to start with wrong wheel drive, I'd go with a K-car or a DSM. I've seen running turbo DSMs on ebay for $600-900, and turbo K-cars can be had just as cheap if not cheaper.

Hell, an Astro van is a better choice then a Honda for a street performer by far, if you consider a 350 swap with a cam headers intake and mild head porting you'd be way ahead of those honda people for a comparable investment. You'd also win a hell of a lot of money off of of these people in hondas to boot.

Originally posted by Drac0nic
Hell, an Astro van is a better choice then a Honda for a street performer by far, if you consider a 350 swap with a cam headers intake and mild head porting you'd be way ahead of those honda people for a comparable investment. You'd also win a hell of a lot of money off of of these people in hondas to boot.

I think with a big motor that the van would be a good straight vehicle. It would also pull cash away from alot of cars that thought you were joking. But most import owners use the small size of the vehicle to its advantage in the turns, stopping, and power to weight ratio (even though 85% of Honda's dont have over 120whp). That makes for a much better street performer. Remember, used Honda parts cost dam near as cheap as used 350/th350 parts.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
I think with a big motor that the van would be a good straight vehicle. It would also pull cash away from alot of cars that thought you were joking. But most import owners use the small size of the vehicle to its advantage in the turns, stopping, and power to weight ratio (even though 85% of Honda's dont have over 120whp). That makes for a much better street performer. Remember, used Honda parts cost dam near as cheap as used 350/th350 parts.

Nick

As far as the whole handling thing goes, you don't compete where you know you won't hang, which leaves out going from a roll and twisties. I thought it was put best by a bloke who said "this car is for going fast in a straight line." If one looks up the weight on a Civic it's near 2750 pounds, not exactly the lightest. My astro as per my last scrapping venture was about 3750, with a spare battery and some other stuff in the back (no seats) a decent 350+4.10s in the back would be able to wax most of those rice burners you'd encounter, not to mention make a decent vehicle for pulling a car around. I'm working at an LC2 powerplant for one as of now, afterall 3750 isn't too much more then a typical loaded Regal.

Far as used honda parts being near as cheap as 350 parts, you mean OEM parts right? I doubt there are any performance parts as cheap to buy as 350 chevy parts, especially when it comes to swap meet finds. (for better or worse) I may stand corrected though, I havn't ever priced Honda performance parts so I'm just begging to have 20 people prove me wrong :D Even with the new gen small blocks from GM, it'll more then likely years into decades before the SBC starts to fade out.

I would take an OMNI GLS before a civic. Talk about a total sleeper buy one for 750 bucks spend 100 in mods and wax most any ricer around. Sad thing is they would never know what hit them. Or even a old shelby csx with the variable nozle turbo, another sleeper car that will outperform todays civic SI's

Mike

Well you die hard import haters just be careful. I use too not respect any honda unless it was a lawnmower or a cbr crotch rocket. But there are a couple of honda guys who have some nice running unriced out machines. A buddy of mine has a civic hatch with an integra vtech swap ( i think) that runs low 14s all day long with just an header and cold air intake. And I have seen a few turbo civics that can run with moddified 03 cobras and supras. I am not saying all hondas are great, I am just saying there are and can be some exceptions if the builder knows what he is doing. I know I am going to get flamed for this, but check out this 89 Turbo Trans am running against a storg runing all motor civic that runs 13.2s in the 1/4, on the highway. http://www.jdmuniverse.com/hybridhatch/webpage//video/DanShaq5.mpeg

I agree with a bike being honda's best performing vehicle. A civic hatch does not weigh 2700lbs, and most people strip the hell out of the hatches (guess its the cool thing to do). I am also in no way supporting Honda as a perfomance vehicle. I am just stating that a lightweight car with cheap and readily available parts is going to be a better starting point than a heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. There are a TON of used honda aftermarket parts out there for very cheap. Not as cheap as chevy small block parts, but close. Plus the little car with a little motor is gonna get much better mpg. Personally if I was gonna get a cheap early 90's sport compact for power, it would be a turbo, awd DSM. But the turbo and awd will hurt its mpg. On a side note there is a turbo grey civic hatch in my area that people claim runs 12's and the only outside modifications are some bronz 16" wheels and the FMIC. I think that the potential for alot of small cars is runied for true enthusiasts by people riceing the cars out and labling it as a rice burner.

Nick

Originally posted by gn4life
[ A buddy of mine has a civic hatch with an integra vtech swap ( i think) that runs low 14s all day long with just an header and cold air intake. [/B]

:rolleyes:
Only needed a MOTOR SWAP to run 14's.

I could make my Toyota Camry (30 mpg) run 11's with a motor swap. ( LC2 )

A Honda is a heck of a car for a driver as is a Toyota but with the exception of the NSX and TT Supra they are not performance cars.

Originally posted by XLR8

I could make my Toyota Camry (30 mpg) run 11's with a motor swap. ( LC2 )

A Honda is a heck of a car for a driver as is a Toyota but with the exception of the NSX and TT Supra they are not performance cars.

I am not a honda guy so i don't know 4 sure but that swap is a popular swap in the honda community, in fact the engine is still made by honda and it comes stock in civics in Japan from what I am told. The motor is not that much diff. form the org. motor just has a little more displcement. The motor is still stock internals honda motor and by no way a race built motor. So your camry motor swap info is silly and has nothing to do with what I am talkin about. :rolleyes: I Consider it to be like swapping a 87 GN drive train into a 85 GN.

Originally posted by XLR8
A motor swap in honda's is usually from the SOCH motor to the DOCH motor that is used in the newer cars. Alot of people go for the bigger 1.8 litre :p up from their smaller 1.3's etc.:rolleyes: It would be like swappin the drivetrain from an 85 to an 87. You also forgot the S2000. It is a very good car for roadcourses.

Nick

Supra=Toyota, shame they're not made any more either. They give Japanese performance a good name.

Far as the S-2000 goes, I can't wait till those trickle down to the used market, right now they're expensive and the insurance is probably more then the car payments in the vast majority of cases, if only for the reason they're supposedly a big rip-off target.

I can't agree enough on the Omni part either, the engines have been proven in high power applications, even to the point of being near bone stock. Not to say that a Honda engine hasn't been proven or anything just from the way it looks the K-car motors are the way to go. Then again, the 2.3L turbo Ferd is a good choice in the four banger department too.