cig lighter keeps blowing fuse

GNRick

Retired member
I bought the 87 GN 5 years ago. Cig. lighter was disconnected. I have since put in at least 5 lighters over the years. They last maybe 6 months and then blow the fuse. Anybody else have this problem? I buy them from Autozone or O'reilly's.

Isn't the 12 volt feed for the power trunk switch wired into that circuit as well?

Did you replace the receptical in the dash? Usually that is the problem.:)
Yes.....many times!

Isn't the 12 volt feed for the power trunk switch wired into that circuit as well?
I think the power trunk still works, but also on the circuit are the lights in the hood and trunk, dome light, floor lights, and power door locks. Parts store sells a fuse that resets itself, which aids in finding shorts.

I bought the 87 GN 5 years ago. Cig. lighter was disconnected. I have since put in at least 5 lighters over the years. They last maybe 6 months and then blow the fuse. Anybody else have this problem? I buy them from Autozone or O'reilly's.

Quit smoking:D

i had the same problem. i found that the piece at the back of the lighter ( female) has a piece of metal that is riveted to the back has bent and is touching the sides. get a screwdriver and bend them in toward the center and it should be OK. if you don't understand what i am talking about pm me and i will call you and explain it to you. its easier to talk to somebody and explain it over trying to write it.

I think the hood light is also on that circuit. And it's easy to get that one grounded against the firewall if the wire is frayed.

I think the hood light is also on that circuit. And it's easy to get that one grounded against the firewall if the wire is frayed.

Yes, I checked that light and wire. Will take a look at the lighter and see what got bent. On a side note, went out to drive car this morning and found passenger side window shattered! Alarm must have scared them off. It must have just chirped, as I usually wake up when it goes off full blast, like from the rain. Damn window will cost $100 and my own labor. Some people suck.