Chrome Alternator

Twil

Welcome to the DarkSide
Where can I get a Chrome Alternator for my 1987 GN??

Will the Summit Racing 1 wire setup work??

Brandon

Kirban has them, I believe Powermaster has them..the one wire ones are too low of amperage, I think. Our cars require at least 120 amps output.

at least 120...:eek:

Are you guy's for real...quite alot considering my n/a regal has a 60!!!

I picked up an extra GN stock alternator and sent it out to Street and Performance in Mena Arkansas. They polish the case first before chroming it and they rebuilt it too. Looks much better than just a regular chroming job. Can't remember what I paid but I believe it was around $250 with me supplying the core. I used a Kirban fan and aluminum pulley on it. Knock on wood it has been working great for about 3 years now.
http://www.buickgn.com/Mark_Hueffman_Grand_National_Motor_Pic_3.jpg

Any other ideas?

$285 for the Kirban one is a bit much. Especially since www.summitracing.com has the cover kit one for $59 for the older cars. They said they had a complete 200amp one for $400!

Anyone know of a chrome cover kit for an 87 GN alternator?

Wait is out a bit....

DC Tech has a new product comming out to dress up the altenator.Kind of like a cousin to the turbo shield.Cheaper than a Chrome turbo and does the same job.Keep cchecking their site for updates.They should have some at the nats:cool:

Brandon,
I have one I will sell ya for $75 shipping included. One of the bearings needs to be replaced and the chrome is not perfect but it cleans up nicely.

Let me know if you want it.

Try This

Kirban has a show quality piece. But wants 100 core deposit.

I called and asked of I could send my alterantor which is an extra,
And no 100.

Answer, yes! plus they rebuild the one they send you.
Just, also looking for chrome pieces.

Got valve covers in 97' newspaper from Bowling Green.
When my GN ea stolen they where in the mail. This time I was glad they where slow.

HTH'ed........One last note Summit has a 140 chrome amp. But I don't know if it will fit...........Good Luck;)

Got One already

Guys,

Thanks for the info, but I already got one from PowerMasters. I cost me $242 shipped. I wish I had waited and got one used. Oh well,

Thanks anyway,
Brandon

I guess the complete Kirban one for $185 aint to bad. Still would like to get just the cover for @ $65.

I think I am just going to get mine chromed...

I saw the DC tech covers. Not my style.

Guys,

I disassembled my alternator and polished my case. It turned out great. If anyone want their case polished, let me know. I have the capabilities and tools to do it. I will even press in new bearings for you as well.

Thanks,

Spank

:D

you saw them?

Originally posted by jsta6
I guess the complete Kirban one for $185 aint to bad. Still would like to get just the cover for @ $65.

I think I am just going to get mine chromed...

I saw the DC tech covers. Not my style.

When I talked on the phone with Buddy he said they werent even out yet.Where did you see them?Just curious:cool:

Whoops.

I just talked with Buddy on thursday,dam he got that up there fast.Now only need to see a car with one one it:D