Choosing an injector and idling it smoothly with speed pro

Originally posted by Craig Smith

The smaller the motor, and the bigger the injector in that smaller motor, the more prone to idle problems a person will be. This isn't to say that someone fitting this profile WILL have problems, but it should be kept in mind.

I'd be real curious with the guys with problems what the charging system is like. Lots of folks just ignore the battery volatge corrrections, and have a FUBAR'd set up form day one, and then just build on that, never knowing what the problem actually is/was.

Never mind what a marginal charge system does to an ignition system.

ive been told that when you have an injector with more cc than your cylinder is there is where the problems starts
this happens cause the heavy internal injectors (bosch style) cant go to lower ms than 1,5-1,4

disk type like lucas can listen up to 0,9 ms (seen that)
but i think you cant find bigger than 40 or 45 lbs disk type injs

we have tuned 4cyl engines with 800cc injectors(76 lbs) with no idle problem
The injectors were NIPPONDESO and what makes them listen to your orders is the much better quality of the electric part of the injector
ive seen these things live ,didnt have to read and tell

Hope this helps a little. just my 0,2

Hmm

I believe I have Holley/MSD 83lb/hr injectors, and I think the injector pulse is set to like .8 - is that bad? When I played around with it and changed it to 1.0, it ran richer. Another thing, when the car is initially started, I see 14.0-14.1 battery volts, but as the day progresses, it usually drops to about 13.5-13.6 - is that normal? I had the charging system checked by an AutoZone guy and he said it's fine.

ive got the same voltage with a 120 A altenator.
the diff you see is normal.
about the msds now,the ms is very low but since the injectors listen to that dont worry be happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig, would you mind checking on that S/N to see if there might be any updates? I guess my voltage is ok/normal.. but the car keeps surging ... after I let off the throttle, it does one big surge, then smooths out...

Upgrade?

Craig

Sorry to bother you with this but I just became the proud owner of DEAN77's old Sped-Pro unit and would like to know if I would benefit from upgraded firmware. The serial number is 0857 857. The firmware revision is B2BLT1-R. Also, can you recommend a source where I can buy the windows software or an email address where I can better address these questions? Thank you very much.

update

i just wanted to let everyone know that when i got my sp back from the firmware upgrade a couple months back, it really solved my stalling issue at the presence of electrical load. Thanks Craig! i really appreciate your help.

Sorry for not responding to some of your questions. I do what I can to keep up with things on this board but sometimes it is tough. I am swamped beyond belief most days at work and don't really spend a ton of time on the internet at home.

Nate, I believe many of your questions have been answered in another post I have been working on today. Tim, the newer firmware revisions have in many cases shown improvement in idle quality and drivability, but whether or not you "need an upgrade" depends on how your car runs right now. If the car seems to run well to you, then I would not recommend an upgrade. Some people will really benefit and others won't. As for purchasing the Windows software, take a look at the dealer list on www.fuelairspark.com and find the closest dealer to you. I believe there are several in your area and they are all quite knowledgeable. It's $25 for the Windows upgrade so it won't hit you too hard in the pocketbook.

Again, sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring some of this stuff. I have so many things to do here at the moment that it's hard to fit everything in. I like to try and keep up here because it gives me an opportunity to answer several people's questions in one sitting. We are getting more people here as we speak so hopefully the sittings can be a bit more often.

I have a friend that has a 410 small block with the B2B system. He has 96's and the idle is great!! no problems at all getting the large injectors idle. Just my 2cents.

Nolan