Chip reccomendation for an almost stock 87' Grand National

Little Detroit

First, I searched the forums to see if I could find the answer to my question, and I could not. I apologize if I did indeed overlook it.

I have a '87 Grand National that is stock except for a period Kenne Bell intercooler. I read that today's gas causes problems with a stock chip. I hope to make some upgrades in the future, but right now I just want a chip that will work with today's gas. Any suggestions?

-Robert

@ Rockale - I am looking to install a turbotweak chip once everything is said, and done.

@ 626gn - I have not made any upgrades to my car at this point in time. However, I do intend to address the Grand National's stock problem areas. My goal is to have a safe, dependable, and comfortable weekend cruiser. Therefore, I will be making a lot of upgrades in the future, but for now I was hoping to get a suitable chip for a stock car if at all possible. I am hoping that I am not going to need to upgrade my chip everytime that I upgrade my car.

-Robert

Not every upgrade requires a chip reburn and IIRC reburns are free for a year after purchase. Planning your upgrades right also helps.

@ 626gn - I know my end goal, and I want to have a game plan to get there. I hope that is where turbo buick comes in. I know a local that buys, and rebuilds run down Grand Nationals. I hope to get some help from him, but he works out of town, and it seems like he is always at the strip. I know that the Grand National rolled out of the factory with some issues, and I would like to tend to those first. What injectors would you reccomendation for a weekend cruiser? I am not looking for increased HP, but I know that will come naturally with upgrades. I just want something safe, and dependable.

-Robert

I think you are on a sensible path to just replace the chip initially.
If it were my nearly stock 1987 GN here is what I would do:
1. Verify the existing injectors. The original injectors were 28lb/hr. See this link: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stock-fuel-injector-size.366645/
2. Verify the existing chip. Are you sure it is stock since you have an aftermarket (period correct) intercooler? Post pictures on the board of the chip if not sure.
3. If you have already done 1 & 2 already, good work.
4. Go to the link that 626gn gave and order a 5.7 Turbotweak chip. It will easily run a stock car with the right parameters. Fill out all the parameters correctly.

Have fun driving it!

@ Heskahoka - Thanks, and I will make plans to do just that. I can not say that I know exactly what chip the car has. I did buy the car from the original owner, and he said that he never upgraded the chip. However, I have not looked myself.

-Robert

@ 626gn - What injectors would you reccomendation for a weekend cruiser? I am not looking for increased HP, but I know that will come naturally with upgrades. I just want something safe, and dependable.

-Robert

42's will work on a stock car, though most will just go straight to 60's. 60's will work just as well on a stock set up and leave you room to grow until you're well into the 11's, or so.

42's will work on a stock car, though most will just go straight to 60's. 60's will work just as well on a stock set up and leave you room to grow until you're well into the 11's, or so.

Agree. If you are considering injectors as well a chip, 626gn is giving good advice. 60s idle like stock and give room in the future.

1. I have a tt v5.7 on my mostly stock gn. It cured a long time horrible idle and stalling problem. The factory emission chips are crap. Car has never run better since I bought it in 93.

As I expected the car is not as close to stock as I thought. The car has upgraded intercooler, turbo, fuel injectors, fuel pump, hot wire kit, thermostat, chip, and a anti theft kill switch. Most are early Kenne Bell upgrades, but the fuel injectors, fuel pump, hot wire kit, and chip are modern to 96'. I am definitely still going to upgrade, but I can not get a modern chip for a stock car. I am going to have to find out exactly what I have first.

-Robert